posted February 22, 2018
Cherry Cola Smoked Pork Butt Recipe and Video
This Cherry Cola Smoked Pork Butt is bursting with cherry cola flavor from the inside out. Injected, and spritzed with cola, and slathered in a sweet cherry cola BBQ sauce, this smoked pork butt is delicious!
How to Smoke a Pork Butt
This method is really pretty traditional, but I’ve added a few twists to really bump up the cherry cola flavor profile. First, the pork butt is injected with cherry cola and then seasoned on all sides with my Homemade Sweet BBQ Rub. Then it is placed on a smoker (I used cherry wood) at 225 degrees until the internal temperature of the smoked pork butt reached 165 degrees F.
From there, the smoked pork butt was placed in a pan with more cherry cola, wrapped tightly, and braised until the internal temperature reached 200 degrees F. Once the pork crosses that 200 degrees internal temperature, I know that the tight connective tissues inside the pork shoulder will have broken down and the smoked pork butt will easily shred apart. I recommend using THIS Instant Read Thermometer to track your temperature during the cooking process.
To tie all of the flavors together at the end, I served this cherry cola smoked pork butt with some homemade cherry cola BBQ sauce. Honestly, the smoked pork butt itself is incredibly juicy and tender, so the sauce isn’t totally necessary. but the flavors were so good I found myself drizzling that sauce all over everything!
Tools Used In This Recipe
Cherry Cola Smoked Pork Butt Video
Cherry Cola Smoked Pork Butt Recipe
Cherry Cola Smoked Pork Butt
- 1 8-10 pound bone in pork butt (pork shoulder)
- 1/4 cup Homemade Sweet BBQ Rub (link in recipe notes)
- 1 cup cherry cola (for the injection)
- 1 cup cherry cola (for the spritz)
- 1 cup cherry cola (for the braising liquid)
- Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce (link in recipe notes)
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F with cherry wood smoke.
- Inject your bone in pork butt all around with 1 cup of cherry cola. Season on all sides with the sweet BBQ rub.
- Smoke your pork butt until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. This typically takes around 8 hours. Spritz the pork butt with cherry cola every hour during this step.
- Transfer your pork butt to an aluminum pan. Pour 1 cup of cherry cola over the pork butt in the pan and then cover tightly with foil. Return the covered pork butt to the smoker and cook at 225 degrees F until the internal temperature of the pork butt reaches 200 degrees F. This step usually takes anywhere between 3 and 4 hours.
- Remove your smoked pork butt from the smoker and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before shredding. Remove the bone and any gristle or excess fat. Moisten the pulled pork with the braising liquid from the pan before serving. Serve with the Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce. Enjoy!
Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce: https://heygrillhey.com/cherry-cola-bbq-sauce
Subscribe to receive our FREE weekly newsletter, The BBQ Beat, and never miss a new recipe!
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad