Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce is going to be your new favorite homemade BBQ sauce! It’s rich, sweet, tangy and delicious on a variety of meats. If you’ve been looking for a BBQ sauce that is unique and full of flavor, this is the sauce for you!
Sweet and Tart BBQ Sauce
Whenever cherry season rolls around, I can’t help but make a batch of this awesome BBQ sauce. I’m also a big fan of cherry cola, so the flavors in this sauce come directly from my love of cherry and my occasional need to be caffeinated.
If you also have a handful of fresh cherries and you’re hankerin’ for something that has a punch of flavor, this cherry cola sauce will knock your socks off. It’s sweet and tart from the cherry cola and pitted cherries, and well-rounded from the ketchup, molasses, and sweet rub.
Another awesome thing about this sauce: the color is outstanding! It has the most amazing bright red color from the cherries, and it looks stunning basted or drizzled on your meat of choice.
Ingredients for Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce
This recipe calls for pitted cherries and you can use fresh or frozen, both work really well. I also season the sauce with my Homemade BBQ Sweet rub that has smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and a hint of heat from cayenne pepper. I think it is the perfect blend for this sauce!
Here’s what else you’ll need to assemble prior to making this sauce:
- 1 cup cherry flavored cola (any brand will do, but I recommend choosing your favorite).
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pitted sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 Tablespoons Signature Sweet Rub (This can be purchased from my BBQ supply shop, Patio Provisions, and we’ll deliver it straight to your door!)
To make the sauce, simply combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Once your sauce is fully cooked and thickened, transfer it to a blender and blend until nice and smooth.
You can use this sauce immediately, or store it in the freezer for up to 1 week.
Tips for Making Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce
Before diving in to making this sauce, here are few tips that are extremely important to having this sauce turn out juuuust right:
- The simmer phase is very important! It reduces the sauce, softens the cherries, and makes it nice and shiny. Don’t rush this step and allow the sauce plenty of time to cook down.
- Wait for the sauce to cool before blending. The last thing you want is boiling, cherry red sauce shooting all over you and your kitchen. Avoid the burns and give it a few minutes before you finish up the sauce.
- Refrigerate any leftovers and use quickly. The cherries in this sauce make it more prone to separate and spoil than other sauces. Store the sauce in an airtight container (I prefer to store these in a lidded glass jar or a wide mouth mason jar). Keep the sauce cold in the refrigerator, and use it up within the week.
More BBQ Sauce Recipes
Making your own BBQ sauce at home is easy and delicious, and it makes great neighbor gifts as well. If you’re looking for a handful of great BBQ sauce recipes, check out some of these unique sauces on our site:
Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce Recipe
Making some epic BBQ should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Join my members-only group The Grill Squad today for access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more. It’s an amazing community of grillers that will help support you and increase your confidence of all things BBQ.
Hey BBQ Sauce lover! Did you know Patio Provisions has Signature Hey Grill Hey rubs and sauces deliciously made and shipped directly to your door? Head over there to purchase your own 3-pack of sauces today!
Cherry Cola BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup cherry cola
- ½ cup pitted sweet cherries
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 Tablespoons Best Sweet Rub
- Bring all ingredients to a boil. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce for 20 minutes, allowing the sauce to cook down and thicken.
- Blend the sauce. Cool the sauce slightly and then transfer to a blender. Put the lid on the blender and blend until the sauce is fully mixed and nice and smooth.
- Use and store. This sauce can be used immediately. If you plan on using it at a later time, transfer it to a lidded jar and chill. This sauce will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
**This post was originally published February 2018. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.