posted February 03, 2020
Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
Just when you thought mac and cheese couldn’t get any better, I present you with this incredible recipe for Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese. Made with homemade smoked Gouda, it’s a quick and easy mac and cheese you cook on your stove top, making it a great weekday dinner option!
Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
This recipe uses smoked Gouda cheese and is a great hack for getting smoky flavor in your mac and cheese without cooking on the smoker. If you plan of cooking your mac and cheese on your smoker (like in my Smoked Mac and Cheese recipe), I don’t recommend using smoked Gouda. Just use regular Gouda instead. You don’t want to overpower the flavor of the mac and cheese with too much smokiness.
Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Mac and Cheese
If you’re a fan of mac and cheese, you won’t be able to resist my delicious recipe for smoked Gouda and cheddar mac and cheese. The secret to this recipe is in the cheese. This recipe is best when made with smoked Gouda that you smoke at home.
Click on this link for a full tutorial and instructions on how to make your own Smoked Gouda. The great thing about smoking your own Gouda at home is you can control the smokiness in your cheese. For a milder smoky flavor, smoke your Gouda for around 30 minutes. If you want some Gouda that’ll really pack a punch and make for an extremely flavorful mac and cheese, leave your Gouda in the smoker for up to an hour.
Now, I understand that not everyone has the time or ability to smoke your own cheese. If you’re looking for a quick mac and cheese dinner, you can always purchase smoked Gouda at the store for this recipe. Just know that homemade smoked Gouda tastes quite a bit better!
How to Make Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
This mac and cheese recipe is cooked on your stove top in a cast iron skillet. It’ll be ready in under 30 minutes, and it’s pretty foolproof. Best to ditch the boxed stuff, and make your own mac and cheese from scratch instead! Full instructions and ingredients are available in the printable recipe card below.
- Begin by cooking your noodles. Prepare your elbow macaroni noodles according to the instructions on the package, drain and set aside.
- Make the sauce. Using a 12″ cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat on your stove top. Add the flour and whisk until a smooth paste forms. Next, whisk in the mustard powder. Carefully pour in the half and half, whisking frequently until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add in the cream cheese. Whisk until smooth. Finally, add in the cheddar and smoked Gouda cheeses and stir until melted and creamy.
- Combine the macaroni and cheese sauce. Turn off the heat and pour the cooked macaroni noodles into the cheese sauce. Stir gently until the macaroni is well coated. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Tips for Making Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
Before you jump into making your own mac and cheese, check out a few of these tips to help you get your dinner to ooey, gooey perfection:
- Cook your noodles to just softened. This mac and cheese tastes best with noodles that have barely softened. You don’t want any crunch in your noodles, but don’t let them overcook until they become too soft or soggy.
- Make it creamy! For an even creamier sauce, add in an additional 1/2 cup of half and half to the cast iron skillet when making the sauce. This will add some additional moisture and extra sauce for your noodles.
- Add some mix-ins. If you want some extra flavor or crunch in your mac and cheese, I recommend topping your mac with crumbled bacon or sausage, jalapenos or green chiles, or even some minced herbs. For added spice, stir in 2 Tablespoons of Frank’s RedHot Buffalo sauce with the noodles and the sauce.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
I just love mac and cheese. It’s a tasty, comforting dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner any day of the week. I also love the way homemade mac and cheese tastes when cooked on the smoker with other awesome ingredients. For more great mac and cheese recipes, check out a few of my favorites below:
Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese Recipe
This recipe was created for you, backyard griller! Here at Hey Grill Hey, we’re in the business of helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration) on Instagram, YouTube or our Facebook Page.
Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni noodles (cooked according to package instructions)
- ½ cup butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- Cook the noodles. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Make the sauce. Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt 1/2 cup of butter and whisk in the flour until a smooth, thin paste forms. Then whisk in the mustard powder.
Carefully pour in the half and half and bring the mixture up to a boil while whisking. Reduce the heat and whisk in the cream cheese until smooth. Whisk in the cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese and stir until melted.
- Combine the noodles and sauce. Turn off the heat and pour in the cooked macaroni noodles. Stir gently until the noodles are coated by the cheese sauce. Serve immediately.
Subscribe to receive our FREE weekly newsletter, The BBQ Beat, and never miss a new recipe!
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad