posted June 01, 2022
Blackened Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Bold and spicy, these blackened grilled shrimp skewers have just the right balance of salt and herbs to make every bite of shrimp pop with flavor. They’re great enjoyed right off the skewer or eaten in tacos or your favorite salad.
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
It doesn’t get much easier than quickly seasoning some shrimp and cooking them hot and fast on the grill. These grilled shrimp skewers make a great weeknight meal as they require hardly any prep time and are cooked in a flash. They are also great for a weekend BBQ with friends or family, allowing you more time to socialize and less time babysitting the grill.
Blackened seasoning is the perfect complement to grilled shrimp skewers (or any seafood, really). Cooking shrimp over the grill on skewers makes the cooking process super simple, and the high heat cooking process adds amazing texture and flavor in just a few minutes.
Blackened Seasoning for Shrimp Skewers
I’m a big fan of blackened seasoning, and my recipe is spicy, savory, and perfectly balanced with herbs and spices. It’s delicious on chicken, seafood, and more to give your meat some life and a kick of heat!
Here’s the whole list of ingredients for this blackened seasoning. Make sure to scroll to the recipe card below for the printable list with ingredient amounts. For a full post completely dedicated to this seasoning, check out my recipe post for The BEST Blackened Seasoning.
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Fresh ground white pepper
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Dried thyme leaves
- Dried oregano leaves
In addition to these shrimp skewers, try this blackened seasoning on Grilled Cod and Grilled Mahi Mahi.
How to Grill Shrimp Skewers
Here’s how to grill shrimp skewers. They’re easy. They’re fast. And they’re sure to become your new favorite (and flavorful!) recipe.
- Preheat. Turn on your favorite grill and preheat to 425 degrees F. Prepare the shrimp while the grill preheats.
- Skewer. Skewer the shrimp onto metal skewers. You can use bamboo skewers for this, but metal will work better if you have them.
- Season. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl to make the blackened seasoning. Mix 3 Tablespoons of melted butter with 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the blackened seasoning in a separate bowl. Brush the seasoning butter on all sides of the shrimp.
- Grill. Place the seasoned skewers on the preheated grill and grill for 90 seconds per side or until the shrimp are white and a loose C shape.
- Dish up! Serve these shrimp skewers immediately. My family likes to eat them right off the skewer, but I think you should serve these however you please (salads and tacos are my favorites as well).
How Long to Grill Shrimp Skewers
It only takes about 2-4 minutes to grill shrimp skewers. Stay close by the grill and cook for approximately 90 seconds per side.
For shrimp, I recommend watching them and removing them when they are no longer translucent and they form a loose C shape. If they curl up into a tight circle, they are overcooked and will be chewy. Remove them from the grill promptly once they are a shiny white.
Tips for Shrimp Skewers on the Grill
Hang tight there, shrimp fans! Before you scroll to the recipe and get these guys on the grill, I have a few tips first!
- Metal skewers are your best friend. Try to buy skewers that are flat, instead of round, OR find skewers that have 2 prongs. These features make for easier flipping and more control on the grill.
- Cook time is just a suggestion. With shrimp, your grill temperature and shrimp size will really determine how long you need to cook them. You’re mostly looking at visual cues for indicators of doneness. You want your shrimp to be opaque throughout and curl into a C shape. If they curl tightly into a “g” shape, you’ve gone too far. When using a thermometer, look for an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
More Grilled Shrimp Recipes
It doesn’t end with this blackened grilled shrimp recipe! Hey Grill Hey LOVES grilled shrimp, and we have a handful of recipes we think you’d enjoy below!
Shrimp Skewers Recipe
Here’s hoping your dinner was a success with this shrimp skewers recipe. Be sure to let us know how it turned out in the comments below (and leave us a 5-star rating while you’re at it!). We greatly appreciate your support!
Connect with Hey Grill Hey! If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind-the-scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Blackened Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- 2 pounds 16/20 shrimp (peeled and deveined, tails removed)
- 3 Tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Blackened Seasoning (recipe in notes)
- Preheat. Preheat grill to 425 degrees F for direct heat grilling.
- Skewer and season the shrimp. Mix 3 Tablespoons of melted butter and 1 1/2 Tablespoons of blackened seasoning in a small bowl. Skewer the shrimp then brush with the seasoned butter on both sides.
- Grill. Grill the shrimp skewers over direct heat for about 90 seconds per side or until they are no longer translucent. If the shrimp curl up into a tight, constricted circle, they are overcooked. They should be a nice shiny white with pink/red accents and a loose “C” shape.
- Enjoy. Remove the shrimp from the grill and serve immediately. You can enjoy these fresh off the grill as-is, or serve them up in tacos or salads.
- Store your extra seasoning. The recipe for the Blackened Seasoning will make more seasoning than you'll need. This blend stores well in a lidded jar at room temperature. You'll want to use it within 6 months for optimum freshness.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!