This Grilled Watermelon Pizza is ready in minutes and perfect for your summer BBQ! Topped with honey, fresh lime, pickled red onions, queso fresco, and a sprinkle of cilantro, you can bring the party to your mouth. This fantastic recipe is just one of MANY healthy recipes available in my Hey, Fit Grill eBook! Go get yourself a copy and start eating well.
I spent Memorial Day at Duerden’s Appliance and Mattress on Memorial Day. You can read a little more about Sheri and Todd and how they let me hang out with them sometimes HERE (bonus, there’s a recipe for amazing garlic butter burgers there as well). They always let me have free reign with what I want to bring and feed their awesome customers, and this time I decided to try something a little different than your typical grilled goodies. I lugged a whole watermelon and all the fixings over to the store for these epic grilled watermelon pizzas.
Grilling watermelon is one of my favorite ways to add a little twist to one of those summer party stand by sides. There’s always watermelon and a cook-out, so let’s make it extra yummy (and extra pretty) with almost no effort. Simply slice your watermelon into rounds about 1.5 inches thick, brush with a little sauce and grill for a few minutes. You can top yours with whatever you like, but the flavor combo I’m sharing in the recipe below is definitely my favorite!
PRO TIP: Make sure that your grill is really really hot and very very clean. You most definitely do NOT want leftover grilled salmon flavor on your watermelon. Additionally, the high heat on the grill will allow the exterior to get nice and caramelized on the outside without cooking the watermelon into mush inside.
When you grill fresh watermelon, the heat does a great job at bringing out the sweetness in the melon and gives it a little bit of that smoky charred flavor as well. Topped with sweet honey, tangy quick pickled red onions, creamy queso fresco, and bright cilantro and lime… this grilled watermelon pizza hits all of the right flavor notes. The best part about it though? You can eat a whole pizza yourself and you’ll only have to feel guilty because you didn’t share, not because you know your pants won’t fit in the morning. Yay, healthy! So healthy, in fact, that this sweet pizza was featured on Shape Magazine’s website in a round-up of Healthy Grilled Pizza Recipes. Cool, right?!
Grilled Watermelon Pizza with Honey and Lime
- 1 20-25 lb seedless watermelon
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 6 oz queso fresco
- 1/4 cup honey
- fresh lime wedges as garnish
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- About an hour before you're ready to grill the watermelon, combine the sliced red onion, white vinegar, lime juice, honey, and salt in a small glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- When you're ready to cook, preheat your grill to High (about 500 degrees F). Slice your watermelon into 1.5 inch rounds using a large, sharp knife.
- Brush each side of the watermelon slice with the liquid from the pickled onions. Place the watermelon rounds on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until there are some light char marks on each side of the watermelon. You might need to work in a few batches at a time to get all of the watermelon grilled if your watermelon rounds are large and your grill grate is small.
- Place each grilled watermelon round on a large cutting board, drizzle with some of the honey, then top with a few slices of the pickled red onion, some of the queso fresco and cilantro. Serve with a fresh lime wedge to squeeze over the top.
- Serve while still warm.