posted October 20, 2021
Grilled Lamb Chops with a Honey Lemon Mint Marinade
These Grilled Lamb Chops are grilled hot and fast after marinating in a delicious Honey Lemon and Mint marinade. It’s a decadent dinner for anyone who is a big fan of fresh and flavorful lamb chops.
What are Lamb Chops?
We could do a section on the cut itself. There is a lot of confusion with what a “lamb chop” actually is because many cuts of lamb are finished with the word “chop” at the end. You’ve got loin chops, sirloin chops, and the most common and non-descriptively labeled lamb chops.
This recipe actually works beautifully and interchangeably with any of the types of lamb chops, but my preferred ones are the lamb chops that look like mini t-bone steaks. These have a piece of the strip loin and a piece of filet, held together by a t-shaped bone in the middle. They are the perfect balance of flavor and tenderness that hold onto the marinade well and grill up quickly. They’re just the right size for half-held appetizers or stacked 3-4 on a plate for a delicious and elegant main course.
Grilled Lamb Chops
For the most amazing and decadent dinner around, these grilled lamb chops are ready to shine. This recipe comes ready to please with a marinade packed with plenty of fresh herbs to help mellow out the gaminess of the lamb.
If you’re lamb-curious or you’re not always the biggest fan of lamb, try out this recipe first. It just might make you a huge lamb fan.
Grilled Lamb Chops Marinade
The key to making these lamb chops so full of flavor is in the marinade. Whenever I’m cooking lamb, I go BIG with the fresh herbs. Lamb can often have a gamey, bold flavor, and I find that fresh herbs can help to mellow out this gaminess.
Here’s what you’ll need for this grilled lamb chops marinade:
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Minced garlic
Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Add the lamb chops and gently massage to evenly coat the marinade over the chops. Place the bag in the fridge and marinate for between 4-8 hours.
How to Grill Lamb Chops
Once your chops have been marinating for at least 4 hours, you’re ready to grill! These work just fine with whatever grill you have on your porch, though quickly firing up the gas grill makes for a fast and easy cooking process.
- Preheat. Heat your grill to 450 degrees F. We’re going pretty hot and fast on these chops, so be prepared to stay close once they start cooking.
- Grill the lamb chops. Place the marinated lamb chops directly on the grill grates (I recommend shaking a bit of the marinade off prior to placing them on the grill). Grill until the lamb reaches 130 degrees F for medium or up to 145 degrees F for well done, approximately 6-10 minutes. Flip the chops every 3-4 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Enjoy! Remove the lamb chops to a serving dish and rest for 5 minutes before digging in. I like to grill lemon halves alongside the chops and serve the seared lemon with the chops for an extra burst of flavor.
How Long to Grill Lamb Chops
Lamb chops cook quickly on the grill, so make sure you have a handy meat thermometer on hand and you stay close by. You’ll want to pull the lamb chops off the grill when they reach an internal temperature of 130 degrees F (medium). This will take anywhere from 6-10 minutes.
I do not recommend cooking lamb chops above medium, but if you like your chops more done, you can continue cooking them until they reach 145 degrees F.
More Lamb Recipes
My dad is a HUGE lamb fan. He’ll gladly accept just about any cut and any recipe. If you’re looking to add more recipes to your cookbook for lamb, check out these other winners from Hey Grill Hey.
- Smoked Leg of Lamb
- Grilled Rack of Lamb with Garlic Herb Marinade
- Smoked Rack of Lamb with a Curry Spice Rub
Grilled Lamb Chops Recipe
For the most delicious and perfectly cooked grilled lamb chops recipe look no further than Hey Grill Hey. We’re here to make BBQ a great experience for EVERYONE because everyone deserves to feel like a BBQ hero.
Grilled Lamb Chops
- 2 pounds lamb loin chops
- 2 lemons (cut in half)
Honey Lemon Mint Marinade
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint (finely minced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano (finely minced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary (finely minced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme (finely minced)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Marinate. Combine all ingredients for the garlic herb marinade in a zip-top bag and mix to combine. Place your lamb chops in the marinade and massage to coat. Place in your refrigerator and allow to marinate for at least 4 hours or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat. Preheat your grill to 450 degrees F.
- Grill the lamb chops. Remove the lamb chops from the marinade and shake gently to remove any excess marinade. Place the lamb chops and the lemon halves directly on the grill grates. Lamb cooks quickly so keep a thermometer handy and check the temperature often. Cook the lamb, flipping every 3-4 minutes until the internal temperature reads 130 degrees F. Medium rare is the optimal internal temperature for lamb chops.
- Enjoy! Remove the lamb chops and the grilled lemon halves to your serving platter. Allow your guests to squeeze the grilled lemon over their lamb chops, to taste, just before enjoying!
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!