posted March 31, 2020
Smoked Rack of Lamb with a Curry Spice Rub
This Smoked Rack of Lamb is a total game changer when it comes to cooking a rack of lamb. Seasoned with a curry spice lamb rub, this lamb is full of flavor without being too gamey or spicy.
Smoked Rack of Lamb
This smoked rack of lamb is beyond delicious. It’s great served as an entree as well as an appetizer. Lamb tends to run a little gamey, but this lamb is seasoned well and smoked to a perfect Medium Rare to Medium doneness where the meat is nice and pleasant.
Smoke is another delightful element added to this rack of lamb. If you’re trying to decide what wood to use in your smoker, I highly recommend hickory or apple. You can also use mesquite if you want to go really bold with your flavors.
Smoked Rack of Lamb Rub Recipe
This lamb rub is unlike any other you’ve likely tried. It’s unique and totally delicious. This lamb rub recipe pulls a Moroccan flavor with curry and herbs. Here’s what you’ll need to pick up to make this rub:
- Curry powder
- Smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Dried thyme
How to Smoke a Rack of Lamb
This rack of lamb is incredibly easy to smoke. Simply prep, smoke, rest, and serve! Follow the directions below or scroll down for a printable version of the full recipe card.
- Preheat and prep. Preheat your preferred smoker (I use a Camp Chef SmokePro) to 250 degrees F. While the smoker is preheating, trim any excess silver skin from the lamb. Drizzle the entire rack with olive oil. Combine all ingredients for the lamb rub in a small bowl and season the lamb on all sides.
- Smoke the rack of lamb. Place the seasoned lamb directly on the grill grates of the smoker. Close the lid and smoke until the lamb is cooked to your preferred doneness. I do not recommend cooking lamb above Medium doneness. It took me approximately 1 hour to cook this lamb to Medium Rare.
- Rest and serve. Once your lamb is cooked to your preference, remove the lamb from the smoker and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve hot.
How Long to Smoke Rack of Lamb
With your smoker preheated to 250 degrees F, it will take around 1 hour to smoke a rack of lamb to Medium Rare. This cook time will vary depending on how done you prefer your lamb.
My recommendation for this recipe is to cook to temperature and not to time. Make sure you have a reliable meat thermometer on hand and check your rack of lamb as it is cooking. Remove the lamb when it has reached one of the following temperatures:
- Rare – 125 degrees F
- Med Rare – 135 degrees F
- *Medium – 145 degrees F
- Med Well – 155 degrees F
- Well Done – 165 degrees F
*Lamb is best if cooked no higher than Medium.
More Lamb Recipes
Whether you grill it or smoke it, lamb tastes amazing cooked over an open flame. Check out these other recipes from Hey Grill Hey to help you cook your lamb to delicious perfection:
Smoked Rack of Lamb Recipe
Smoked Rack of Lamb
- 1 1-2 pounds rack of lamb
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Curry Spiced Lamb Rub
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Fire up the grill. Preheat your smoker to 250 degrees F. The preferred wood of choice when cooking lamb is hickory or apple.
- Prep the lamb. Trim off excess silver skin on the rack of lamb. Drizzle with olive oil. Combine all ingredients for the curry spiced lamb rub in a small bowl, season the lamb on all sides with the rub.
- Smoke! Place the seasoned rack of lamb on smoker. Close the lid, and smoke for approximately 1 hour or until the lamb is cooked to your preferred doneness. I do not recommend cooking lamb above 140 degrees F (Medium).
- Rest and slice. Remove the lamb from the smoker and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad