posted June 13, 2022
Beer Glazed Grilled Cabbage Steaks
If you’re under the impression that all sides need to be simple or bland, think again! These grilled cabbage steaks are seasoned with a handful of savory spices and mopped with a beer glaze for the ultimate side dish.
Grilled Cabbage Steaks
Take a simple slice of cabbage and turn it into an epic side that tastes so good it could pass as the main course. These grilled cabbage steaks take a simple veggie and punch it full of intensely good flavor with a rub and mop sauce.
These taste great any time of the year and are a handy way to cook up a whole head of cabbage. In fact, if you find you have half a head of cabbage in the fridge that will go to waste, grill up a few of these cabbage steaks instead!
Ingredients for Cabbage Steaks on the Grill
These cabbage steaks start with 1 whole head of green cabbage and add a tasty seasoning combined with an awesome beer mop sauce. Here’s everything you’ll need to make these tasty cabbage steaks. (Full ingredient amounts are available in the printable recipe card below).
For the seasoning:
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic (grated)
- White onion (grated)
For the mop sauce:
- IPA beer
- Beef stock
- Brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce
- Whole grain mustard
- Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce
My Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce is an optional addition to this recipe, but it adds a nice BBQ element to the dish. You can make this sauce using my recipe for Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce, or you can purchase a bottle ready to go and shipped directly to your front door from the Hey Grill Hey Store.
How to Grill Cabbage Steaks
Ready to make your own grilled cabbage steaks at home? Here’s how to grill cabbage steaks.
- Preheat. Turn on your favorite grill (a gas grill or charcoal grill will work well for this recipe). Allow the grill to preheat so the temperature is running consistently at 400 degrees F.
- Make the sauce. Make the mop sauce in a medium saucepan. Bring the beer and beef stock to a boil. Turn off the heat and then stir in the brown sugar. Once the brown sugar has dissolved, add the remaining ingredients. Set the sauce aside.
- Prep. Wash the cabbage and slice it into 4 to 6 sections, each about 1-inch thick.
- Season. While the grill preheats, make the seasoning in a small bowl. Use a basting brush to brush the seasoning on the cabbage
- Grill. Place the seasoned cabbage on the grill and grill for 30 minutes total. Flip the cabbage every 5 minutes and mop it with the mop sauce every time to flip.
- Enjoy. Once the cabbage steaks have softened and are lightly browned, remove them from the grill. Serve immediately with your favorite main dish!
How Long to Grill Cabbage Steaks
It will take approximately 30 minutes to grill cabbage steaks.
This total cook time might vary slightly depending on the consistency of the heat on your grill and the thickness of the cabbage steaks. Make sure you flip the cabbage steaks every 5 minutes to ensure they cook evenly. Use this 30-minute timeframe as a guide and cook until the cabbage has softened and is cooked to your liking.
More BBQ Cabbage Recipes
Whether you’re cooking up something delicious for St. Patrick’s Day, or you have a head of cabbage from the garden you’re looking to grill up, these recipes from Hey Grill Hey are here to help!
Grilled Cabbage Steaks Recipe
Hey Grill Hey is dedicated to helping you make better BBQ so you can feed the people you love and become a backyard BBQ hero. If you’re looking to up your BBQ game, join The Grill Squad. It’s my members-only BBQ group that is packed full of awesome pitmaster classes and other amazing perks (like a running discount on my store!) Check it out today!
Beer Glazed Grilled Cabbage Steaks
- 1 head green cabbage (cut into 4-6 sections, about 1-inches thick)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon white onion (grated)
- ½ Tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cloves garlic (grated)
Beer Glaze Mop Sauce
- ½ cup IPA beer
- ½ cup beef stock
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce (optional)
- Preheat. Preheat your grill to 400 degrees F.
- Prep. Peel any deteriorated outer leaves from the cabbage, then slice it into 4-6, 1-inch thick pieces.
- Make the mop sauce. In a saucepot, bring the beer and beef stock to a boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the brown sugar and salt until dissolved. Once dissolved, stir in the remaining ingredients. Set aside until needed for basting.
- Season. Mix the oil, salt, paprika, cayenne, Dijon, and honey in a small bowl. Then, grate in the garlic and onion and stir to combine. Brush all the seasoning onto the cabbage slices, getting it between as many layers as possible.
- Grill. Place on the grill at 400 F for 30 minutes, flipping and mopping it every 5 minutes.
- Serve. Remove the cabbage steaks from the grill and serve immediately.
- Purchase it from the store HERE: Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce
- Make it from scratch using this RECIPE: Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce Recipe
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!