posted August 11, 2021
These grilled bananas take an ordinary banana and turn it into the most amazing dessert you’ll ever have. Also called banana boats, these bananas are stuffed with chocolate and marshmallow and grilled to a soft and sweet finish.
Can You Grill a Banana?
If you’re new to Hey Grill Hey, you may not know that we grill EVERYTHING. Grilling isn’t just for meat and veggies! If you can cook it, you can cook it on the grill.
Bananas are especially delicious when grilled. Grilling bananas makes them sweeter and softer with an almost creamy texture. They’re the perfect base for an ice cream sundae or eating straight out of the peel!
Grilled Banana Boats
For this recipe today we took a simple grilled banana recipe and added a sweet twist by stuffing them with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. Many folks call these tasty desserts a “banana boat.”
Grilled bananas are awesome to make, because you can change them up to include your favorite toppings, and they can be cooked in a variety of ways. Banana boats are a camping staple. Once you’re finishing up with dinner, simply wrap up your stuffed bananas in some foil and stick them in the hot coals. Check every few minutes and remove the bananas when the chocolate is melted and the bananas are nice and soft.
How to Grill Bananas
Fire up that grill, friends! It’s time to grill up some amazing bananas! These guys are ridiculously easy to make, and they’ll be done in a flash. Let’s talk about how to do it:
- Prep. Prepare the bananas by cutting off the stem and end of each. Cut a slit through the skin and open it to create a pocket (or “boat”). Stuff each banana with marshmallows and chocolate chips. Wrap each banana with aluminum foil.
- Grill. With your gas or charcoal grill preheated to 450 degrees F, grill the wrapped bananas for 4 minutes. Flip and grill for another 4 minutes. Remove the bananas when the chocolate and marshmallows are melted.
- Top. While you can eat these bananas as-is (and they’re darn good, too!), I also recommend topping them with some extras to make them super tasty. Check out the next section for some suggestions here.
There you have it! Easy and ready in a flash!
Grilled Banana Toppings
The best thing about grilled bananas is that you can mix and match toppings. By all means, sticking with the classic chocolate and marshmallow combo is a winner every time, but getting creative never hurt. Ready to branch out from the marshmallow and chocolate stuffings? Try adding these to your grilled banana boats:
- Fresh fruit. My favorites include strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. You can’t go wrong with any berry option here.
- Nutella. If you want, you can swap out the chocolate chips for Nutella or add some on top for extra flavor.
- Crushed graham crackers. These add a great texture to the banana.
- Peanut butter. Other nut butters taste great when combined with grilled banana and chocolate. Almond butter is a major winner here.
- Chopped nuts. Pecans, walnuts, and almonds are top choices.
- Ice cream. Stick with classic vanilla ice cream for a fancy twist on a banana split!
- Sprinkles. Just ’cause.
- Hot fudge. There’s always room for extra chocolate!
- Caramel sauce.
- Strawberry sauce. Both caramel and strawberry sauces are great with this grilled banana. Top them on scoops of ice cream for a tasty sundae.
- Maraschino cherries.
- Whipped cream.
Honestly, the options are endless. These grilled bananas are also a great way to make a dessert bar. Grill up the bananas and have all the toppings ready to go for your guests to make their own delicious dessert!
More Grilled Fruit Recipes
When I said we at Hey Grill Hey like to grill all the fruits, I wasn’t kidding. Check out a few of our favorite grilled fruit recipes from this list below!
- Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar and Sea Salt
- Watermelon Pizza with Honey and Lime
- Grilled Peaches with Cherry Balsamic Glaze
Grilled Bananas Recipe
Well, my friends, you’re all set to make some tasty grilled bananas. Make sure to stop back here and leave a comment letting us know how you customized your banana.
Stuffed Grilled Bananas
- 6 bananas
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- crushed graham crackers
- chopped nuts
- vanilla ice cream
- chocolate syrup
- caramel sauce
- strawberry sauce
- maraschino cherries
- whipped cream
- Preheat. Preheat grill to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare the bananas. Remove the stem and the end of each banana. Cut a slit through the skin and partially through the banana (without going through the skin on the other side. Open the slit with your fingers to create a pocket. Fill each pocket with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. Wrap each banana completely with foil and seal tightly.
- Grill. Place the wrapped bananas on the grill grates, close the lid, and grill for 4 minutes on one side. Open the lid and flip the bananas. Close the lid and grill for an additional 4 minutes. Use tongs to carefully open the foil on one of the bananas to check for melted marshmallows and chocolate. If the insides aren't melted yet, grill for an additional few minutes until everything inside the bananas is nice and melty.
- Unwrap. Remove the bananas from the grill. Unwrap your bananas. You can partially unwrap and use the foil as the serving dish (great for fewer dishes when eating outdoors), or remove the foil and skin completely and transfer the bananas to a serving dish.
- Top and enjoy! Top the warm bananas with your favorite toppings like chopped nuts, crushed graham crackers, chocolate or caramel sauces, ice cream, cherries, or whipped cream. Enjoy your warm and delicious grilled banana sundae!
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!