posted October 12, 2022
Crunchy Grilled Dill Pickle Chicken Wings
You don’t need a special occasion to enjoy these oh-so-amazing grilled dill pickle chicken wings. They’re crunchy, savory, crispy, and just the right amount of tart.
What are Dill Pickle Chicken Wings?
These chicken wings taste like a perfect marriage of the ultimate grilled chicken wing and deep-fried pickles. The pickle brine is savory and bright, the chicken wings are juicy and crisp, and the toasty crunchy pickle butter delivers a one-two punch of flavor and texture.
These wings are a unique treat that are a bit out of the ordinary. If you’re looking to try something new and wow all your guests at your next party, you need to put these dill pickle chicken wings on your list!
Ingredients for Dill Pickle Chicken Wings
Not only are these wings fairly easy to make, but they only require a handful of simple ingredients. Here’s what you need to make these dill pickle chicken wings:
- 3 pounds of chicken wings
- 2 cups dill pickle brine
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
(The dill pickle brine is essentially just the juice from a jar of dill pickles. It acts as the perfect brine for these chicken wings.)
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Crunchy Pickle Butter:
- 1/2 cup melted salted butter
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Fish & Veggie Rub
- 2 Tablespoons dill pickle brine
This recipe calls for Hey Grill Hey Fish & Veggie Rub. You can purchase this from the Hey Grill Hey Store and have it delivered straight to your door. If you don’t have any on hand when you go to make this recipe, you can also make something similar using my recipe for Homemade Vegetable Seasoning.
How to Make Dill Pickle Chicken Wings
Let’s get right into making these awesome wings. For a full printable recipe scroll to the bottom of this post. Here are the basics on how to make dill pickle chicken wings.
- Brine. Place the pickle brine (pickle juice) and wings in a zip-top bag or glass dish and place in the fridge for 8-12 hours.
- Preheat. Fire up your preferred grill (I like to cook my wings on a charcoal grill) to 425 degrees F.
- Make the breadcrumbs. Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add the breadcrumbs and toast until golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Prep the chicken. Remove the wings from the brine and dry with paper towels. Toss the wings in avocado oil.
- Grill. Place the wings directly on the preheated grill and cook until the wings reach an internal temperature of 175 degrees F, flipping every 3-4 minutes. Use an instant-read thermometer to monitor the temperature as these cook.
- Coat in butter. Add the remaining butter, Fish & Veggie Rub, and pickle juice (make sure this is new pickle juice and not the same one you used with the raw chicken!) to the toasted breadcrumbs you set aside. Stir well to combine. Remove the wings from the grill and toss them in the crunchy pickle butter.
- Dig in! Serve these guys immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Making Dill Pickle Chicken Wings
Alright, you’ve set the stage and you’re ready to make these dill pickle chicken wings. Before you fire up that smoker, I have a few tips to help you make the most of this recipe.
- Brine overnight. Brining chicken wings takes about an hour per pound of chicken, so you can brine for as little as 3 hours and have awesome results, but I tend to toss mine in the brine the night before. I find the flavor penetrates the wings a little bit better.
- Keep Fish and Veggie Rub on hand! My Fish and Veggie Rub is a staple in our kitchen. We use it on just about everything! If you don’t have a bottle on hand when you go to make this recipe, you can make it from scratch with my recipe for Homemade Vegetable Seasoning.
- Use your favorite grill. These chicken wings are grilled hot and fast because I love the texture of the crispy skin and the juicy interior. You can grill these on either gas or charcoal, or any grill that can reach 425 degrees F. You could even air fry them if you don’t want to heat up the grill, so go ahead and choose your favorite.
More Grilled Chicken Wings Recipes
Have a party or tailgate coming up? Make sure you have some epic grilled chicken wings on hand to help you feed your friends and family! Check out a few of our most popular recipes below.
Dill Pickle Chicken Wings Recipe
Making some epic BBQ should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Join my members-only group The Grill Squad today for access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more. It’s an amazing community of grillers that will help support you and increase your confidence of all things BBQ.
Grilled Crunchy Dill Pickle Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings (flats and drumettes)
- 2 cups dill pickle brine (this is just the liquid from a jar of pickles without the pickles included)
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
Crunchy Pickle Butter
- ½ cup melted salted butter (divided use)
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Fish & Veggie Rub (recipe in notes)
- 2 Tablespoons dill pickle brine
- Brine the chicken. Add the chicken wings and the pickle brine to a large zip-top bag. Squeeze out any extra air, seal tightly and refrigerate for 8-12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat. Preheat your grill to 425 degrees F.
- Toast the breadcrumbs. Set a pan on the grill and melt 2 Tablespoons of butter. Add the Panko breadcrumbs to the pan and cook, stirring regularly, until they are evenly toasted and golden brown. Set aside.
- Prep the wings. Remove the wings from the brine and dry them completely with paper towels. Toss the wings in avocado oil until thoroughly coated.
- Grill. Place the wings on the grill grates and close the lid. You'll want to slowly open the lid every 3-4 minutes to flip the chicken wings and rotate them, as needed on the grill. Continue cooking and flipping until the wings are golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 175 degrees F. Remove the wings from the grill.
- Make the crunchy pickle butter. Add the remaining butter, Fish & Veggie Rub, and pickle brine (make sure this is new, fresh brine and not the same stuff you used with the raw chicken!) to the toasted breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Pour the crunchy pickle butter over the grilled wings in the large bowl and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Enjoy! Serve immediately and enjoy your crunchy dill pickle chicken wings!
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!