posted December 16, 2021
Smoked Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
Salty, sweet, and spicy come together for this tongue-tickling appetizer that is sure to please a crowd. Savory bacon wrapped little smokies sausages are dunked in spicy Buffalo sauce and coated in brown sugar before being smoked for added flavor.
Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
Little smokies are those addictive, perfectly sized appetizers that folks of all ages love to enjoy. While it’s all fine and dandy to cook up some simple smokies slathered in a generic BBQ sauce for your next party, these bacon wrapped little smokies are truly the way to go.
You don’t need to settle or compromise on flavor when making a quick party appetizer. Put in some extra effort and it’ll pay off big time with these little smokies. Lastly, cooking them in the smoker imparts a great BBQ flavor, making these completely irresistible.
Ingredients for Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
Not only are these little smokies extremely delicious, they only require a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make these bacon wrapped little smokies.
- Little smokies. Purchase 1 package of pork and chicken little smokies for this recipe (more if you plan on doubling the recipe for a party).
- Bacon. Regular thickness bacon is preferred for these smokies so they cook throughout while on the smoker.
- Buffalo sauce. I like Franks’ Buffalo sauce, but you can use whatever sauce is your favorite.
- Brown sugar. Light or dark brown sugar works well for this recipe.
- Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub. You have some options with this rub. You can purchase my Sweet Rub from the Hey Grill Hey Store, or you can make it from scratch using this recipe for Best Sweet Rub. Either will work great!
How to Cook Little Smokies
Once you have all your ingredients assembled, you’re ready to make and smoke these little smokies. Here’s how to do it. For a full, printable recipe with all ingredient amounts, scroll to the bottom of this post.
- Preheat. Turn on your favorite smoker (I often reach for my Camp Chef SmokePro) and preheat to 275 degrees F. Prepare your little smokies while the smoker preheats.
- Wrap. Cut each slice of bacon into thirds. Wrap each little smoky in bacon and secure with a toothpick. This part is a bit tedious, but SO worth it at the end!
- Season. Place all your beautifully wrapped little smokies in a large bowl and cover in Buffalo sauce. Next, mix the brown sugar and Sweet Rub in a separate bowl. Roll each sauced bacon wrapped little smoky in the seasoning and place them on a roasting rack over a baking sheet.
- Smoke. Place the roasting rack holding the little smokies directly on the grill grates of your preheated grill. Close the lid and smoker for around 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the bacon is rendered (the fat has melted off the bacon).
- Enjoy. Remove the little smokies off the smoker and transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Serve immediately. There’s no need to remove the toothpick from when you wrapped them. It’ll serve as a nice holder for the little smokies!
How Long to Smoke Little Smokies
It will take around 45 minutes to 1 hour to smoke these little smokies. As they’re wrapped in bacon, we want to make sure the bacon is fully rendered before removing them from the smoker.
As you near that 45-minute mark, start to keep an eye on the smokies so you can remove them right when the bacon is ready. You don’t want these overcooked or undercooked, so keep a close eye! The total cooking time may vary depending on how consistent your temperature remains in the smoker and the thickness of your bacon. Let your eye be the guide for these!
Tips for Making Smoked Little Smokies
Hold up, party people. Before you dive into this recipe, take note of a few tips to ensure your little smokies taste simply amazing.
- Double the recipe for a big party. This recipe serves 4-6 people as an appetizer, as written, but you can almost plan on people going back for thirds (or fourths).
- Taking these smokies on the road? Prep and smoke at home, and then load the smokies up in a crockpot set to warm. This will keep the temperature up so they stay hot, without overcooking anything.
- Can’t find little smokies? Swap for hot dogs, kielbasa, or even pre-cooked brats. Any of these pre-cooked sausages will hold up well on the smoker. Since they are pre-cooked, you are really shooting for making sure your bacon is rendered properly. Plan on about an hour of smoking for these thicker sausages.
What to Make with Little Smokies
Little smokies can serve as a great appetizer, or you can even use them as a main dish combined with other yummy BBQ items. Here are a few suggestions of what to make with these little smokies if you’re looking for a more filling meal.
Little Smokies Recipe
Here’s hoping you loved these little smokies (and that you made enough because as we found, they didn’t stick around for long!). If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave us a 5-star review and share your thoughts in the comments section below.
You can also follow along with all of Hey Grill Hey’s newest and best recipes with our weekly newsletter, The BBQ Beat. Subscribe in the footer below!
Smoked Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
- 1 package little smokies (pork and chicken)
- 1 pound bacon
- ¼ cup Buffalo sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub (recipe in notes below)
- Preheat. Preheat the smoker to 275 degrees F.
- Wrap in bacon. Cut bacon in thirds. Wrap each smoky with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Season. Place the wrapped smokies in a big glass bowl. Drizzle them with Buffalo sauce and toss gently to coat. Mix brown sugar and sweet rub in a separate bowl. Roll each smoky in the brown sugar mix. Set the seasoned and wrapped smokies on a flat roasting rack over a baking sheet.
- Smoke. Place just the flat roasting rack on the grates of your 275-degree F smoker. Close the lid and smoke for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until bacon is rendered. and the smokies are hot throughout.
- Enjoy. Remove the bacon-wrapped smokies from the smoker and serve hot!
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!