This skillet cornbread is the ultimate comfort food. It has the perfect cornbread texture with beautifully crispy edges. One bite and you’ll be hooked on this sweet, golden goodness.
Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
Cornbread is the perfect BBQ side dish. Even though it’s most commonly baked in a dish or pan, my preferred method of cooking it is in a 12″ cast iron skillet. Baking your cornbread in a cast iron skillet is downright magical. The cast iron becomes good and hot prior to baking, allowing you to obtain crispy edges on all sides (and those golden brown edges are the best part!). Honestly, my family’s favorite thing about this cornbread is those crispy edges.
And cooking in a cast iron means no fighting over who gets the best slice!
When cooking cornbread in a cast iron skillet, it’s important to preheat the skillet at a high temperature at 425 degrees F. This gets your skillet good and hot for it to create those gorgeous crispy edges (can you tell how obsessed I am with these perfect edges?). Once your skillet is preheated, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F to cook your cornbread. This lower temperature allows the cornbread to bake evenly and maintain its moisture.
Buttermilk Cornbread in a Skillet
I personally believe that making cornbread with buttermilk is the best way to go. Buttermilk added to cornbread creates the most gorgeous flavor. It gives you this beautiful tangy note to compliment the sweetness. I don’t like my cornbread to be overly sweet (that’s what that fresh honey is for!), so the buttermilk comes in to add balance to the mixture.
Buttermilk also adds moisture to this cornbread, and it helps you get a nice crumb texture. This cornbread is the perfect consistency. It’s not cakey, but it’s not too crumbly. It holds together well, but it still has that classic cornbread texture. After all, you want to be able to get a good bite of cornbread on your fork without the whole thing crumbling back down on your plate!
How to Make Skillet Cornbread
Here’s how you get delicious, moist skillet cornbread every time:
- Preheat your cast iron. Preheat your oven or grill to 425 degrees F and heat your skillet. This step is crucial to ensure you get beautifully golden edges on your cornbread.
- Mix the batter. Combine all liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl, and combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and DO NOT over mix. Helpful tip: Make sure you use whole milk! The fat in whole milk makes this cornbread taste better. You can substitute for a lower fat milk, but the final result will not be as delicious.
- Cook the cornbread. Melt 4 Tablespoons of butter into the cast iron skillet and add your batter. Reduce heat and cook at 375 degrees F for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cornbread comes out clean and the cornbread is golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter and honey.
Looking for More Skillet Sides?
I LOVE cooking food in a cast iron skillet. It just might be my favorite kitchen item. Hey Grill Hey has a plethora of smoked and grilled sides cooked in cast iron skillets to compliment any and all main dishes. Check out a few below!
Skillet Cornbread Recipe
Follow the recipe and let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Love Hey Grill Hey signature recipes and flavors? Patio Provisions has great products to help you make delicious food for your family and friends.
- 1 ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 8 Tablespoons butter
Pink Peppercorn Butter
- 8 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1 Tablespoons pink peppercorns
- 2-3 Tablespoons honey
- Preheat your grill or oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place a 12" cast iron skillet in your oven or on a grill to preheat.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, milk, eggs, and 4 Tablespoons melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir lightly to combine. Do not over mix the batter.
- Add 4 Tablespoons butter to your cast iron skillet and allow the butter to melt.
- Pour batter into skillet over the melted butter.
- Close your oven or grill and reduce the heat to 350 degrees F.
- Cook for 40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle of the cornbread comes out clean and the cornbread is golden brown.