posted June 22, 2021
Mac and Cheese Burger
If you’ve got a hankering for the most amazing burger meal of your life, you need a huge mac and cheese burger. By stuffing the patty full of delicious, gooey mac and cheese, you have a meal that is comforting and filling.
Mac and Cheese Burger
Every once in a while, I just need some creamy mac and cheese AND a burger. All at once. And while I could definitely make some tasty burgers with a side of my famous Smoked Mac and Cheese, putting the mac and cheese INSIDE my burger just sounds way too awesome.
Burger nights are fairly standard around here because they are a quick dinner AND a great way to feed a crowd so I get double the mileage out of one recipe! These burgers were born out of a desire for a simple meal and a desperate need to use up some of my Bacon Mac and Cheese before it got lost to the back of my fridge in the leftover container graveyard. I hate things to go to waste and I LOVE burger night so these mac and cheese burgers were a win-win.
Burger Stuffed with Mac and Cheese
I am no stranger to the stuffed burger. I’ve loaded up my patties with pastrami and Swiss, sauteed mushrooms, bacon, and cheddar, you name it! Of all of those magical burger combos, the one that we come back to over and over again is this amazing burger stuffed with mac and cheese.
You might be skeptical about putting noodles in your burger, but please trust me on this one. The melty mac & cheese makes the perfect filling for the juicy ground beef. I mean, the name alone sounds like comfort between two hamburger buns, and that first cheesy bite confirms the amazing goodness of this burger.
You can use any mac and cheese for this burger, but I’ve found it’s beyond incredible with my Bacon Mac and Cheese. The bacon pieces add that extra salty crunch that takes these burgers to the next level. It’d likely be just as awesome with my
How to Make Mac and Cheese Burgers
Making mac and cheese burgers is fairly similar to grilling regular burgers. You just need to take the extra steps to get that burger stuffed with the mac and cheese cooking it on the grill.
Personally, I stuff my burgers by hand and then season liberally with my popular Beef Seasoning right before grilling. You can also use a stuffed burger press to help make your patties. There are some pretty cool gadgets out there (like this stuffed burger press) for making stuffed burgers that cost about $8-$12 if you like to collect kitchen gadgets (quietly raises hand). Otherwise, all you need is a hot grill, some mac & cheese, and salt and pepper, and you’re good to go.
This recipe calls for leftover bacon macaroni and cheese, but you can make it fresh for these burgers if you want. Check out the recipe for my Bacon Mac and Cheese for a killer recipe that serves as an awesome main dish, side, or burger stuffing!
Tips for Making a Mac and Cheese Burger
Before you jump down to the recipe for this burger, I’ve compiled a few tips to help you get the tastiest burger ever.
- Choose fattier meat. I recommend purchasing 80/20 ground beef for this recipe. Don’t go much leaner than 80/20 for burgers. You need that extra moisture and flavor in there while the meat is on the hot grill.
- Season the outside only. Some people like to mix their seasonings into the meat, but I say PASS! The salt can draw out some of the moisture from the meat and results in a chewy texture instead of that tender, juicy burger that everybody loves. Simply season liberally on the outside of your patties, and you’re good to go.
- Use a cutting board! My last tip for a killer burger night? Load all of the toppings up on a big cutting board! You’re slicing tomatoes, onions, and lettuce anyways. Why dirty extra dishes by transferring to a platter? Serve everything right from the cutting board and let your guests have a blast building their own burgers!
More Burger Recipes
Ready to add more burger recipes to your collection? These are some of the most popular grilled burgers that I think you’ll like.
Mac and Cheese Burger Recipe
Well my friends, it looks like you’re ready to make an amazing mac and cheese burger! As always, feel free to play around with the ingredients and make this one your own.
**This post was originally published in May 2015. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.**
Mac and Cheese Burger
- 4 hearty hamburger buns
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20 preferred)
- 1 cup mac and cheese
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- salt and cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Beef Seasoning (or 1 teaspoon each of the following: salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- assorted burger toppings (lettuce, onions, pickles, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc.)
- Preheat the grill. Close the lid and turn the temperature setting to Medium-High (between 400 and 450 degrees F). Allow the grill to preheat for 10-15 minutes while you prepare your burgers.
- Make the burger patties. Separate the pound of ground beef into quarters, then each quarter into halves so you have 8 equal portions of meat. Press four of the portions into small bases and the other four into flat patties.
- Stuff with mac and cheese. Fill each of the four bases with ¼ cup mac & cheese. Top with ⅛ cup of the extra shredded cheddar and season with salt and pepper.
- Form the patties. Gently lay the flat patties on top of the bacon mac & cheese filled bases and press the edges together to form a tightly sealed burger. Try not to leave any holes, or the cheese will leak out and make a huge mess! Season liberally with Beef Seasoning or equal parts salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Grill the mac and cheese burgers. Carefully transfer the patties to the hot grill and cook for 10 minutes. Flip gently and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until an internal thermometer reads 175 degrees F.
- Toast the buns. While the burgers are cooking, butter your hamburger buns. Place them alongside the grill for the last minute with your burgers. Watch them carefully so they toast without burning!
- Assemble the mac and cheese burgers. Remove the mac and cheese burgers and toasted buns to a clean serving dish. Assemble the burgers with your desired toppings and enjoy!
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!