posted January 21, 2022
ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE Review
Backyard BBQ Heroes! This week we’re taking a quick peek into the latest and greatest instant-read thermometer from ThermoWorks, the Thermapen ONE. ThermoWorks is on the bleeding edge of instant-read thermometer technology, with their latest hardware providing read times of one second and unparalleled accuracy in this industry. Let’s get into it!
ThermoWorks sent us this equipment for testing and review purposes, however, all opinions are our own.
ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE Features
The Thermapen ONE features the following:
- Unparalleled speed with full temperature readings in less than one second
- Industry-leading accuracy to half a degree: ± 0.5°F (±0.3°C)
- Brighter intelligent backlight display automatically illuminates in low-light and when the sensor window is covered
- Easy access battery housing uses one common AAA battery for a 2,000-hour battery life
- Five-year warranty
- Motion-Sensing Sleep and Wake Mode: intuitively turns on and off—or when picked up or in use and off when set down to save battery
- Patented 360° auto-rotating display uses accelerometer technology to intuitively turn right-side-up
- Shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof with an IP67 rating for water-tight seals
- Foldaway design protects probe when not in use
- Biomaster Antimicrobial Silver Ion Technology reduces microbial growth
- Hand washable
- Display temperatures in °F or °C, 1° or 0.1° resolution
- Each Thermapen ONE includes a NIST-traceable calibration certificate verifying accuracy to national standards
The ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE
The ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE is an updated version of the gold-standard thermometer, the MK4. There are some slight design differences between the two, as seen in the image below. You can see that it looks nearly the same as its predecessor, with the most notable design changes being an improved display backlight and removal of the rubber ring at the back end of the MK4.
ThermoWorks have improved the overall construction of the Thermapen ONE, boasting an IP67 waterproof rating and a new battery door located on the back of the unit instead of at the rear. You don’t need to worry about accidentally leaving it out in the rain or ruining it with a good cleaning. ThermoWorks is so confident in their improved construction, they now offer a 5-year warranty versus the 2 years with the MK4. Five years is massive and shows just how much faith ThermoWorks has in its products.
Backlight operation and screen rotation still work just as they did with the MK4, with the Thermapen ONE boasting a brighter backlight. That small hole you see to the right of the screen is an ambient light sensor that turns the backlight on only when it’s dark enough, saving even more battery power. An included accelerometer facilitates the screen rotation, making sure the screen is always right side up so it can be read easily.
Perhaps the biggest and most notable improvements the Thermapen ONE provides over the MK4 are the insanely quick read time of less than one second and improved accuracy. Now, you may think that the MK4 with its 2-3 second readings and accuracy within 0.7℉ are plenty. I’m here to say that as minimal an improvement as that seems, it makes a difference. The less time hanging my hands and arms over a fire or forcing them into a hot oven, the better.
ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE Operation
The operation of the Thermapen ONE is still the same as the older brother, making it extremely easy to use. To turn it on, rotate the probe out of the body and pick the thermometer up. There is some witchcraft happening (or a motion sensor, you decide) that magically wakes it from sleep mode and turns it back off when idle to help save on that precious battery life. The time it takes for sleep mode to kick in is user-configurable by way of the buttons under the new-and-improved battery compartment door located on the back.
What We Like
Here are some of my favorite things about the ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE:
- Lightning Fast Read Time – As I said earlier, the less time I have to hover over the fire, the better.
- Industry Leading Accuracy – Within half a degree is darn impressive, folks.
- The New Backlight – Don’t get me wrong. The old backlight and display combo on the MK4 was fine, but the ONE is much more readable.
- Available in 10 Colors – Just like the MK4, ThermoWorks is offering the Thermapen ONE in 10 different colors to suit your customization needs.
What Could be Improved
I hate to nit-pick, but that’s exactly what you’ll find listed here. The Thermapen ONE is an incredible piece of kitchen equipment that is impressive in nearly every way. I have to pick one thing and that is the decrease in battery life from the MK4. The MK4 runs into the 3,000-hour range on a single AAA battery, while the ONE puts out 2,000 hours on the same battery. How terrible.
Great Recipes for the ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE
Do you have the ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE, or are you planning on buying one in the future? If so, I recommend trying these awesome recipes on your grill.
- Smoked Pulled Beef Chuck Roast
- Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Roasted Garlic Resting Butter
- Drunk Brisket with Bacon BBQ Sauce
ThermoWorks Thermapen ONE Review: Final Thoughts
The Thermapen ONE is an absolute beast of an instant-read thermometer and a tool every grill master, chef, or Backyard BBQ Hero should have in their arsenal. Grab one today for yourself, or pick one up as a gift for anyone you know that has a passion for grilling or cooking amazing food in the kitchen. You won’t be disappointed.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!