posted November 24, 2021
Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Roasted Garlic Resting Butter
This rib eye steak is perfectly grilled and rested on a gorgeous roasted garlic resting butter for a decadent steak that will knock your socks off. It’s easy, fast, and a breeze to make. Best of all? It has the most amazing flavor that will keep you excited until that very last bite.
Rib Eye Steak
Ready for an amazing rib eye steak that tastes just like you got it at a high-end steakhouse? This rib eye steak will give you that restaurant experience in the comfort of your own home. These simple grilled rib eyes deliver a power punch of perfectly cooked steak and a savory roasted garlic resting butter all in one.
The secret to getting the perfect rib eye steak is in the seasoning (Hey Grill Hey Beef Rub!), the grilling technique, and Hey Grill Hey’s secret weapon: the resting butter. With these three combined, you’ll cook the best-tasting steak every. single. time.
How Long to Grill Rib Eye Steak
The time it takes to grill your steak will vary depending on how done you prefer to enjoy your rib eye steak. These rib eye steaks are reverse-seared, meaning they’re cooked slowly over indirect heat, then seared over direct heat for a juicy interior with a perfect crust. Plan on around 1 hour grilling time to completely the entire process from start to finish.
Bottom line: It’s all about the temperature and not time, so keep your thermometer handy! A perfectly cooked steak is within your grasp! The best way to achieve the ideal doneness of steak that each member of your family likes is to invest in a high-quality thermometer. I love an instant-read thermometer from Thermoworks because it is the most accurate and fastest read on the market.
Rib Eye Steak Doneness Temperatures
- Rare: 125 degrees F:
- Medium-Rare: 135 degrees F
- Medium: 145 degrees F
- Medium-Well: 155 degrees F
- Well Done: 165 degrees F
Tips for Grilling Rib Eye Steaks
Ready for the most amazing rib eye steak of your life? Here are a few tips to make them better than the rest.
- 2 zone cooking is your friend! We have a whole post about two-zone cooking, so give that a read if you need a refresher course. Having a high heat zone and a low heat zone gives you perfect control over the grilling process. You can have all of the char and flavor from high heat grilling and the ideal doneness you get from low and slow cooking.
- Pick a great steak. Each steak in your grocery store is graded by the amount of intramuscular fat in the steak itself. Select grade is the most common grade on the meat shelves in commercial grocery stores. To find Choice or Prime (the highest grade) you may need to wander over to the glass case and make friends with your butcher. The prices are generally higher for these higher grades of beef, but for a special occasion, it is definitely worth it.
- Get crazy with your resting butter. #restingbutter is a Hey Grill Hey staple. This post includes an absolutely bomb resting butter loaded with roasted garlic. I’ve got a lot of flavor options in my Resting Steak Butter post if you want to venture out and explore new flavors.
More Grilled Steak Recipes
It doesn’t have to stop at these grilled rib eye steaks (though we don’t blame you if you stick with this recipe forever and call it good). Hey Grill Hey LOVES steak, and these recipes also pack a punch of juciness and flavor. Check them out today.
- Ribeye Steaks with Balsamic Red Wine Glaze
- Smoked Ribeye Cap Steak
- Perfect Reverse Seared Steak on the Grill
Rib Eye Steak Recipe
Whether you’re enjoying this rib eye steak with a special someone, or you’re just in the mood for a really good steak, Hey Grill Hey is here to make sure dinner goes off without a hitch.
We’re in the business of making BBQ accessible to everyone. Make sure to leave a comment below letting us know what you thought of this recipe. Let’s get the conversation started!
Grilled Ribeye Steak with Roasted Garlic Resting Butter
- 2 boneless ribeye steaks (1 1/2 inches thick)
- 2 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Beef Seasoning (or equal parts salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
Roasted Garlic Resting Butter
- 1 head garlic
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat. Turn on or light your preferred grill. Preheat the grill to 450 degrees F for two-zone cooking.
- Season. Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and season on both sides with the steak rub.
- Roast the garlic. Cut ¼ inch off of the top of the head of garlic and remove exterior paper. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap with aluminum foil. Place the garlic head on the hot side of the grill, close the lid, and roast for 25 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
- Grill the steaks. Place the seasoned steaks on the indirect heat side of the grill, flipping after 15 minutes.
- Make the garlic butter. Remove the roasted garlic from the grill and carefully unwrap. Use a clean towel to squeeze the garlic bulbs into a bowl. Smash the garlic bulbs with the backside of a fork to form a paste. Stir in the butter, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Set the resting butter aside.
- Check the temperature on your steaks. You want them to reach 115 degrees F for a rare steak, 125 degrees F for medium-rare, 135 degrees F for medium, 145 degrees for medium-well, and 155 for well done.
- Sear. Once your steaks hit your desired target temperature, move them immediately over to the high, direct heat side of the grill. Sear over high heat, flipping after a nice crust has developed. Cook until your steaks reach your desired internal doneness, following the temperatures in the notes section below.
- Rest then serve. Prepare your serving platter by spreading 1 tablespoon of the roasted garlic resting butter on the platter where each steak will sit. Place the hot steak on top of the resting butter and top each with an additional tablespoon of the roasted garlic butter. Spread the butter around and let it melt across the surface of the steak while it rests for 10 minutes. Serve steaks while warm.
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!