posted November 22, 2021
Smoked Turkey Wings with Gravy Dipping Sauce
You haven’t lived until you’ve had smoked turkey with gravy dipping sauce. If you love the flavors of Thanksgiving, but don’t feel up to cooking the entire meal, these turkey wings come ready to satisfy. By dipping the slow-smoked wings in gravy, you get that comforting meal without all the effort!
Smoked Turkey Wings
Smoked turkey wings give you all the joy and satisfaction of a tasty chicken wing in a jumbo package. Serve with a side of classic, savory gravy as a dipping sauce and these smoky turkey wings taste just like the holidays!
The meat itself is nice and smoky with traditional turkey herbs and seasonings rounding out the flavor profile. The gravy is creamy and rich and perfect served on the side or drizzled all over the top!
How to Prepare to Smoke Turkey Wings
The wings are going to come whole most likely, but I like to divide them up into sections for even cooking because the flats often finish faster than the drums. By dividing them you can pull them off at the perfect temperature instead of risking them drying out while waiting on the drums to finish.
It is easy to find where they separate because there is a joint at each point. You will want a very sharp knife to make easy work of it. Do one step at a time then work back through for speed.
Here’s the process:
- Disjoint. Begin by disjointing the flat from the drum to make it easier work on your knife when separating. Do this by finding where the wing and drum connect then bending it against the natural motion. You can cover the edge of a counter in foil or saran wrap and use it as leverage if it is too difficult to bend by hand.
- Cut. Next, cut the wing tips all off and set them aside- I like to roast these and use them in stocks (AKA magic elixir!) since they are not meaty.
- Divide. Lastly, divide the drums and flats with your knife where it has been disjointed.
How to Smoke Turkey Wings
These smoked turkey wings are a tasty meal and are ready to go in 3 easy steps! Make sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for a full, printable recipe!
- Season. Combine mayo, seasonings, and Hey Grill Hey Chicken Seasoning in a large bowl, toss the turkey wings to coat.
- Smoke. With your smoker preheated to 300 degrees F, place the wings directly on the grill grates and grill for around 1-1.5 hours (or until the temp of the flats reach 170 degrees F and the drums reach up to 180 degrees F).
- Dip. While the wings are smoking, prepare the gravy in a saucepan on the stove. Serve the gravy either drizzled on the smoked turkey wings or on the side for some good dipping! ENJOY!
How Long to Smoke Turkey Wings
It will take approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours to fully smoke turkey wings. The cook time will vary depending on the size of the wings and the consistency of the heat on the smoker.
Rather than keep an eye on the clock, keep an eye on the temperature of the meat using a reliable meat thermometer. Turkey wings are done when the internal temperature of the flats reaches 170 degrees F, and the drums hit 175-180 degrees F. Temperature tells you when your food is done; the clock doesn’t.
More Smoked Turkey Recipes
Ready to take on more smoked turkey recipes? Whether you’re looking to cook up a whole smoked turkey or a simple turkey breast will do, Hey Grill Hey has plenty to choose from! Try out these awesome ones from the site!
Smoked Turkey Wings Recipe
These smoked turkey wings are great for a weekday meal or a weekend BBQ. You can also dish them up if you’re looking for a twist on Thanksgiving.
Please let us know what you thought about this recipe in the comments section below!
Smoked Turkey Wings with Gravy Dipping Sauce
- 6 turkey wings (split into tips, drums, and flats)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon sage (chopped)
- 1 Tabespoon thyme (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Chicken Rub (recipe in notes section)
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups turkey stock (pan drippings if you have them, or chicken stock)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Preheat. Preheat your smoker to 300 degrees F for indirect smoking.
- Season the turkey. Combine the mayonnaise, rosemary, sage, thyme, and chicken seasoning in a large bowl. Add the separated turkey wings to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Smoke. Place the seasoned wings on the smoker over indirect heat until the flats reach 170 degrees F and the drums hit 175-180 degrees F. They'll also be done when they are brown and crispy! Turn the wings during the cooking process as needed to prevent burning. If your wings are nearly done and not near the crisp level of your liking, pull them off and set the grill for direct cooking. Finish them up on high, direct heat until they are perfect without sacrificing juiciness! The cook time on these wings can range from 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on the size of the wings.
- Make the gravy. While the wings smoke, prepare the gravy dipping sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter then add the herbs, allow them to toast until fragrant to release all the oils. Whisk in the flour, continuing to stir often, and cook until it is a light brown, 2-5 minutes.
- Adjust consistency. Slowly whisk in the stock until it reaches your desired thickness, it may not need all 2.5 cups or it may need up to 3 cups to be the right consistency for you. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy. Serve the smoked and crispy wings with the gravy on the side to dip. Enjoy that classic smoked turkey flavor in a handheld package!
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!