posted November 04, 2019
Cider Brined Smoked Turkey Breast
This Cider Brined Smoked Turkey Breast is not only flavorful, but juicy to boost. Brined turkey breast combined with a sweet and savory sweet rub make for a turkey breast that is just as good for a weekday dinner as it is served on a special occasion.
Smoked Turkey Breast
This recipe is for (no bias here) the best smoked turkey breast you’ll ever have. We begin with a delicious apple cider brine, season with my KILLER turkey rub, and finish up with a few hours in the smoker. These three elements combine to bring you a smoked turkey breast that is like no other. Don’t take my word for it, try it yourself!
Smoked Turkey Breast Brine
Let’s take a moment to talk about the turkey breast brine in this recipe. This isn’t your mama’s turkey brine. No, no. It’s packed with so many amazing ingredients with the main goal of adding flavor, moisture, and tenderness to your turkey breast.
Make sure you have the following on hand prior to making this brine (scroll down to the recipe card for amounts).
- Apple Cider
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Signature Sweet Rub
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
Smoked Turkey Breast Rub
When seasoning this turkey breast, I find that a good sweet rub is best to compliment the apple cider brine and smoke flavor. There are a couple of options here. If you want to combine BBQ and traditional turkey flavors, I highly recommend my new Smoked Turkey Rub Recipe. It’s got BBQ zing with a great addition of traditional turkey herbs and spices. I think it’s pretty bomb!
If you like that sweet heat BBQ flavor, you can go with my homemade sweet rub. It combines 8 ingredients (including brown sugar and smoked paprika) that never overpowers the flavor of the meat. You can make your own Sweet Rub at home by following my recipe on this site.
For those of you who have been long-time Hey Grill Hey followers, you likely know how often I use this sweet rub. It’s my go-to, and one that I’m happy to share with my friends. If you want to stock up on this great rub, you can purchase my Signature Sweet Rub from Patio Provisions. We also sell 2-pound refill bags so you never have to worry about running out!
How to Smoke a Turkey Breast
Guys, this turkey breast only requires 4 steps to make. It’s sooooo easy! This is one that you can’t mess up! It’s a good one to try when you’re ready to branch out from simple turkey, and you want to try something that takes a little more time and effort.
- Brine the turkey. Whisk all ingredients for the brine in a bowl. Submerge the turkey breast in the brine, and refrigerate for 8-12 hours.
- Add some flavor! Remove the turkey from the brine, and pat dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the turkey breast with my Best Sweet Rub Recipe or my homemade turkey seasoning. You can also purchase my Signature Sweet Rub pre-made and delivered straight to your door from Patio Provisions.
- Put that turkey in some smoke. Get your smoker going at 275 degrees F. You can use whatever wood you have on hand, but apple wood goes great with this turkey breast (it compliments the cider brine perfectly!). Smoke for 3 hours, or until the internal temp of the turkey breast reaches 165 degrees F with an internal thermometer.
- Rest and enjoy. Remove the turkey from the smoker, cover with foil, and rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
How Long to Smoke a Turkey Breast
It will take approximately 3 hours to fully smoke a turkey breast when your smoker is consistently running at 275 degrees F. Keep the ol’ meat thermometer on hand (I used my ThermoWorks Mk4 for this smoke) and pull the turkey breast off the smoker when the internal temperature of the thickest part of the turkey breast reaches 165 degrees F.
The FDA recommends turkey be cooked to a minimum temperature of 165 degrees F, and for this turkey breast, that’s the exact temperature you want to be watching for. The turkey will come off safely cooked and beautifully moist.
More Smoked Turkey Recipes
It’s turkey season, baby! Turkey for me, turkey for you! And yes, I would highly consider eating turkey in my big brown shoe. Not only is turkey the quintessential main course for Thanksgiving, but it’s great on Christmas, and for Sunday dinner.
And with Hey Grill Hey by your side, you can make a different turkey for each occasion, and each one will come out bursting with flavor and perfectly cooked. Check out more smoked turkey recipes below:
Smoked Turkey Breast Recipe
Making dinner for your family should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Here at Hey Grill Hey, we’re in the business of helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration) on Instagram, YouTube or our Facebook Page.
Cider Brined Smoked Turkey Breast
- 1 4-5 pounds boneless turkey breast (fresh, not previously brined)
- 1 Tablespoon Signature Sweet Rub
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Signature Sweet Rub (or your favorite BBQ seasoning)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- Combine all ingredients for the brine in a large bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Submerge the turkey breast in the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 8-12 hours.
- Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F. Apple wood goes great with this meat.
- Remove the turkey breast from the brine and pat dry. Sprinkle the turkey breast on all sides with the sweet rub seasoning (or your favorite seasoning).
- Place the turkey breast on the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for approximately 3 hours or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove the turkey from the smoker. Cover lightly with foil, let rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad