posted December 15, 2022
Smoked Cream Cheese with Jalapeno Salsa
This smoked cream cheese is seasoned with a flavorful BBQ rub and given a hit of smoke for a tasty appetizer that you’ve just gotta try.
Smoked Cream Cheese
Smoked cream cheese became a viral BBQ sensation overnight, and I gotta admit, I was skeptical of all the hullabaloo. A block of cream cheese. On the smoker. Really?
After finally biting the bullet and trying this smoked cream cheese, I get the hype. It’s a happy little appetizer that pairs great with crackers, salsa, and meats. You can also get really creative with flavors and infuse the cream cheese with a spicy, sweet, or savory seasoning. So yeah, smoked cream cheese is something you definitely need to try at least once.
Ingredients for Smoked Cream Cheese
You don’t need much to make this smoked cream cheese. Here’s what you’ll need to make this appetizer:
- 1 8-ounce block of cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of your favorite BBQ Rub
This cream cheese takes on a bit of flavor from both the rub and the wood smoke, so get creative with this recipe. I absolutely love this with my Sweet Rub or Rib Rub, but it would work well with just about any rub or seasoning. I have yet to try them out, but I’m super tempted to try this with my Fish & Veggie Rub and Fiesta Rub.
How to Smoke Cream Cheese
Let’s get to the smoking! It’s a simple process with very little prep work or effort on your part. (A win-win in my book!) Here’s how to smoke cream cheese:
- Preheat. Turn on your smoker and preheat it to 180 degrees F with your favorite wood.
- Season. Score 1/2 inch deep cuts into the top of a cold brick of cream cheese. Place it on a baking sheet and season well with your favorite BBQ seasoning or rub.
- Smoke. Place the seasoned cream cheese on the smoker and smoke for 1 hour.
- Make the salsa. While the cream cheese is smoking combine all ingredients for the cranberry jalapeno salsa in a blender (ingredients listed in the recipe card below) and pulse until it’s finely diced. Do not overmix! Transfer the salsa to a glass jar and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve. Remove the smoked cream cheese from the smoker and serve with the cranberry jalapeno salsa.
How Long to Smoke Cream Cheese
It takes approximately 1 hour to smoke cream cheese with the smoker running steady at 180 degrees F.
Make sure you keep an eye on the temperature of your grill to ensure it’s not dropping in temperature too often. Use your best judgment with this cream cheese. If it’s looking quite done before that 1-hour mark, feel free to remove it early. If the brick of cream cheese is still looking too firm, give it a little bit of extra time to let that cheese get all soft and delicious.
Tips for Smoking Cream Cheese
Hold up there just a moment! Before you get to smoking this cream cheese, I have a few tips to help you get the most out of the recipe.
- Choose your wood adventure. Experiment with different wood types to create different flavor profiles. The cream cheese takes on a lot of smoke flavor quickly, so you can have some fun here.
- Try a different rub! Mix and match rubs for different final flavors that your friends and guests can sample. I made my smoked cream cheese with both Rib Rub and Sweet Rub, and both turned out totally amazing!
- Give the gift of smoked cream cheese! To give these snacks as a gift, cool the cream cheese entirely before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. Prep the salsa a day in advance and spoon it into individual 6-oz serving jars.
Looking for more cream cheese recipes from Hey Grill Hey? Look no further, BBQ friends! These are a few of our absolute favorite cream cheese recipes cooked on the BBQ. Check them out in the links below.
Smoked Cream Cheese Recipe
Hey Grill Hey is here to ensure you master a BBQ recipe like a total pro. In fact, we hope each recipe and tutorial makes you feel like a backyard BBQ hero so you can feed the people you love.
If you loved this recipe, be sure to rate it 5 stars and leave us a comment below! You can also access this amazing smoked lamb shoulder recipe and over 500 other recipes on the Hey Grill Hey App.
Smoked Cream Cheese with Cranberry Jalapeno Salsa
- 1 8-ounce block cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Hey Grill Hey Rib Rub (recipe link in notes section)
Cranberry Jalapeno Salsa
- 1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
- 5 green onions
- 2 whole jalapenos (seeded and diced)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Preheat. Preheat your smoker to 180 degrees F.
- Prep the cream cheese. Cut 1/2 inch deep scores into the top of the cold cream cheese brick with a paring knife. Place the cream cheese on a baking sheet or grill mat and season with the Rib Rub or your favorite BBQ seasoning.
- Smoke. Place the cream cheese on the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for 1 hour.
- Make the salsa. While the cream cheese smokes, prepare the cranberry jalapeno salsa. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until the salsa reaches a finely diced consistency. Stop blending before it becomes a paste. Transfer to a lidded glass container and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve. Remove the smoked cream cheese from the smoker to your serving platter. Top with spoonfuls of cranberry jalapeno salsa and serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!