Montreal Steak seasoning is one of those staple blends to have on your pantry shelf when it’s the perfect night for grilling up some steaks or burgers. This Montreal seasoning is made at home with the perfect balance of savory flavors and bright herbs.
Homemade Montreal Seasoning
I spent a little bit of time looking into what Montreal seasoning actually was in order to create the best Montreal seasoning out there. Did you know that it originated in a Montreal based deli? One of the employees started mixing his own spice blend and it became so popular, the customers started requesting bottles to take home.
Montreal Steak Seasoning Ingredients
The actual recipe he used is a bit of a mystery, but after digging a little bit I found the key players are salt, pepper, garlic, onion, dill, and coriander. The amounts and any additional seasonings are basically just creator’s choice, so I took some liberties with my recipe and adjusted amounts until I created a blend that I think is absolutely delicious! Savory but still bright from the dill and coriander.
For my homemade Montreal seasoning, I wanted the flavors to really pop and I absolutely love the bigger pieces of spices mixed into the seasoning, so I used a mortar and pestle to grind the whole spices fresh. If you don’t have one, you can use a small coffee grinder (just make sure you only use it for spices!) You can also just use the pre-ground versions of any of the whole spices included in the ingredients list, but they may not be as vibrant so you may want to season your meat a little more liberally with the finished Montreal seasoning.
Smoky Montreal Steak Seasoning (Optional)
Every time I’m grilling, I like to add a little smoke wherever possible. I know not everybody owns a smoker, so I introduced smoked paprika to my Montreal seasoning recipe to bring some of that open wood fired flavor. This ingredient is optional, but I absolutely love the hint of smoke in the blend! Luckily, it is pretty easy to find on any grocery store shelf!
Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe
Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika optional, if you want "Smoky Montreal Seasoning"
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dehydrated onion or onion powder
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons whole mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Combine the peppercorns, salt, and paprika (optional) in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Blend until the peppercorns have almost all broken apart. Add in the rest of the seasonings and blend again until well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight jar. The flavors are the best if used immediately, but the blend can be stored at room temperature and used for several months. Great on steaks, roasts, burgers, and more!