posted March 16, 2022
Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
A sweet and smoky BBQ sauce with just the right kiss of heat, this honey chipotle BBQ sauce is a backyard cookout classic.
Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Take a sweet honey BBQ sauce and add in chipotles in adobo sauce and you have this amazing honey chipotle BBQ sauce. It’s the ultimate well-rounded sauce that is perfect on chicken, pork, and so much more!
This sauce is a natural pairing for grilled and smoked foods. The chipotle pepper and smoked paprika have a natural smoky flavor that complements the flavor of the meat without overpowering it. You can also adjust the heat and spice in this sauce with the addition of a second chipotle pepper.
Ingredients for Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Most of the ingredients to make this honey chipotle BBQ sauce should already be in your pantry or spice drawer. The one item you might have to pick up special to make this recipe is the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. These are found at your local grocer in a small can. These guys are full of flavor with a good amount of spice.
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this sauce. Scroll to the printable recipe card for full ingredient amounts.
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Adobo sauce
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
How to Make Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
I’m a big fan of making homemade BBQ sauce (when I have the time!). There’s something extra delicious about slathering fresh sauce on your home-cooked meal.
If you’re up for the task, this sauce is easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes (minus a recommended chill time).
- Cook. Combine all ingredients for the honey chipotle BBQ sauce in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sauce comes to a boil. Next, reduce the heat, and simmer the sauce for 25 minutes.
- Blend. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set it aside to cool. Once the sauce has come down significantly in temperature, pour it into a blender. Puree the sauce until it is nice and smooth.
- Chill. Transfer the sauce into a glass mason jar (I prefer to use wide-mouth mason jars or a hinged mason jar to store my sauces). Place the sauce in the refrigerator overnight. The flavors will have more time to blend and mellow when chilled.
- Enjoy. Slather this sauce on all your favorite meats. I recommend trying it on grilled chicken, country-style pork ribs, smoked pork ribs, and chicken wings!
Quick note: If you don’t have time to chill the sauce you can use it immediately, but I recommend adding an additional teaspoon of honey to the sauce to balance out the vinegar.
Tips for Making Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Here are some tips for making this honey chipotle BBQ sauce the best of the best.
- Choose your preferred heat. Canned chipotles in adobo sauce are commonly found at most grocery stores in the Hispanic food section. Occasionally you’ll be able to find options that indicate various levels of spiciness, so you can choose your heat level.
- Add a second pepper. If you taste the sauce and find yourself wanting a little more heat, you can add a second chipotle pepper.
- Let your sauce chill. Most homemade BBQ sauces are best when chilled thoroughly overnight. That 24 hours in the fridge makes a big difference in final flavor by mellowing out the acidity and letting the individual ingredients blend together.
Did you tweak something in this recipe to make it work for you and your family? If so, be sure to share it with us in the comments section below!
More BBQ Sauce Recipes
Ready to try your hand at even more great sauce recipes? These are just a few that are favorites here on the site.
If you’re looking for a pre-made sauce that tastes homemade, you can’t go wrong with all my homemade sauces available from the Hey Grill Hey Store. Check them out today!
Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce Recipe
Follow the recipe, and I’ll teach you the simple steps to making your own BBQ sauce at home. Hey Grill Hey is dedicated to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes and videos on YouTube, Instagram, or our Facebook Page.
Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Make the sauce. Combine all ingredients for Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Want a little more heat? Add a second chipotle pepper to the sauce before simmering.
- Puree. Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool. Carefully pour sauce into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Rest, use, and store. Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator overnight before using for best results. This rest time allows the flavors to blend together and the acidity of the vinegar to mellow. If you do want to use the sauce immediately, you may want to add an additional teaspoon of honey to balance the vinegar.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!