posted January 13, 2021
Texas BBQ Sauce
This Texas BBQ sauce is a rich sauce that is perfect served on just about any BBQ you’ve got cooking on the grill or smoker. Drizzle it on smoked brisket, or spoon it over some ribs, you’ll fall in love with this sauce after the first bite.
Texas Style BBQ Sauce
Now before we get going on this recipe, a quick note about this BBQ sauce. We KNOW that if BBQ is good, it doesn’t need sauce (especially in Texas), but this sauce might be the exception. It provides the most amazing flavor to all your grilled and smoked meats, so make sure to try it before you count it out.
What Does Texas Style BBQ Sauce Taste Like?
With no liquid smoke and a smooth tangy sweet flavor, this Texas style sauce compliments perfectly smoked brisket and ribs, without overpowering them. This is a sauce designed to be your barbecue’s BFF.
Most barbecue sauces are ketchup based and sweetened with molasses and brown sugar. This Texas sauce takes a slight turn with a tomato paste base and a honey/brown sugar combo. The result is a sauce that is slightly thinner than most sticky sweet BBQ sauces and has a more robust tomato flavor. It may be different than what you’re accustomed to in a traditional BBQ sauce, but once you pair it with my Texas Style Brisket, you may never go back to your old BBQ sauce.
Ingredients for Texas BBQ Sauce
This BBQ sauce requires a handful of ingredients, but believe me when I say it’s well worth the effort. To begin melt butter over medium-high heat and sauté onions and garlic in a medium saucepan.
Next, add the following to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and allow the sauce to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Tomato paste
- Apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon mustard
- Chili powder
- Celery salt
- Black pepper
This sauce can be used as-is or blended to a smooth consistency. I recommend storing any unused sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Tips for Making Texas BBQ Sauce
Here are some quick tips for making this Texas style BBQ sauce you should take note of before diving into the recipe.
- Soften the onions. For a great final texture in the sauce, take the few minutes in the beginning to cook the onions and garlic in butter. It also makes a huge difference in flavor.
- Reduce the sauce. Don’t skimp on the simmering step! The sauce will start out very thin, but gently thickens over the 25 minute simmer. This simmer time also helps all of the flavors meld together.
- Puree. Or not. If you like a little texture to your sauce, serve it as is. If you want a perfectly smooth sauce, let it cool completely and then puree in the blender.
- Don’t rush it. This sauce is actually BETTER the next day. Place the finished sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight before using.
Popular Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipes
Fancy yourself a connoisseur of BBQ sauce? Try out these other popular BBQ sauce recipes from around the U.S.
Best Texas BBQ Sauce Recipe
Texas BBQ Sauce
- ½ sweet onion (super fine dice)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Sautee the onions. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and softened. About 4 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients. Whisk the remaining sauce ingredients into the pan, stirring frequently, until the sauce comes just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer the sauce for 20-25 minutes.
- Blend the Texas BBQ sauce. Turn off the heat and allow the sauce to cool to nearly room temperature. You can use the sauce as is, if you like the texture of the onions and garlic. If you prefer a smooth sauce, carefully transfer the sauce to a blender, seal the lid tightly, and blend on high speed until the sauce is a smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate, serve and store. This sauce tastes best when allowed to rest overnight (24 hours for the best flavor) before serving. Serve alongside brisket, mop on ribs, or drizzle on cheeseburgers. Sauce will last 2 weeks in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed jar.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!