posted January 17, 2022
Southwest Grilled Turkey Burger Crunchwrap
Juicy turkey, corn, and black bean patties are layered with cheese, crunchy tostadas, and a toasty tortilla for an ultimate blend of satisfying textures and tongue-tingling flavors in this grilled turkey burger crunchwrap.
Grilled Turkey Burger Crunchwrap
Before we dive into the recipe today, let’s chat all about this grilled turkey burger turned into an AMAZING crunchwrap. There’s been some debate over at Hey Grill Hey HQ as you whether this crunchwrap counts as an actual burger or not. Some folks say yes. It has a patty and that’s enough to qualify it as such. Others point out that the missing bun and traditional toppings take it out of burger territory.
Even though this crunchwrap isn’t your “typical” turkey burger, it’s so good, you’ll find reasons to make it over and over again. Plus, if you want a more traditional grilled turkey burger recipe, you can always slap these patties and sauce on a regular bun with lettuce and cheese and call it made. We won’t judge how you enjoy your burger, but I think you’ll love this crunchwrap either way.
How to Make a Turkey Burger Crunchwrap
These crunchwraps are a little bit more involved than your traditional burger, but they are well worth it. Trust me. Every element added to the wrap makes them completely irresistible. Here’s the basic lowdown on how to make one (for a more detailed recipe, scroll to the bottom of this post).
- Make the patties. In a large bowl, mix all the patty ingredients, then divide them into 6 equal-sized patties. Make sure you keep them all around 1-inch thick so they will cook evenly.
- Grill. With your gas grill or charcoal grill preheated to 450 degrees F, grill the patties for 4-6 minutes per side or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F.
- Assemble. Place a large burrito on your work surface, then top it with Mexican cheese, a tostada, 1 scoop of cheese dip, the burger patty, another scoop of cheese dip, a 2nd tostada, then more Mexican cheese.
- Fold. Pick a starting point and form a crease to bring the tortilla to the center of the tostada, continue folding the burrito down and around. If it doesn’t come all the way to the middle, don’t worry, it will be fried shut by the cheese.
- Cook. Quickly and carefully place the crunchwraps cheese side down on a preheated cast-iron skillet on the grill and cook it for 30-45 seconds to get crispy and sealed shut, then flip and do the same with the other side.
- Make the dipping sauce. Add all ingredients for the dipping sauce (recipe in next section!) in a medium bowl and stir well to combine.
- Serve. Remove the turkey burger crunchwraps from the skillet and serve them hot with the dipping sauce.
Crunchwrap Dipping Sauce
The final piece to this amazing grilled turkey burger crunchwrap is finishing it off with a tasty dipping sauce. It’s sweet and savory, and it perfectly compliments the flavors in the crunchwrap (though it’s so good, you can use this for fries and other burgers too!).
Here’s what you need to make the sauce:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle in adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub
- 1 teaspoon Hey Grill Hey Fiesta Rub
Both the rubs can either be purchased pre-made from the Hey Grill Hey Store, or you can make them using the recipes for Best Sweet Rub and Homemade Fiesta Rub (formerly known as my South of the Border Rub).
Tips for Making a Turkey Burger Crunchwrap
Before you fire up the grill and get all cheesy on us, we’ve compiled a few notes to help you get the most out of your crunchwrap.
- Buy the big tortillas. The burrito-sized tortillas are the ideal size for fitting in all the fillings and folding up correctly.
- Can’t find tostadas? I buy the small, pre-made corn tostadas from the grocery store, but if they’re not available, you can sub for corn tortilla chips.
- Get crazy with toppings. I serve my turkey burger crunch wraps simply with the creamy dipping sauce, but you can load them with diced tomatoes, chopped onions, lettuce, cilantro, and lime to take them to the next level.
Did you get creative with your turkey burger/southwest crunchwrap meal? If so, make sure to leave us a comment below!
More Unique Grilled Burger Recipes
Getting a little sick of the same old beef burger day in and day out? Try out these other unique grilled burger recipes from Hey Grill Hey! You don’t need to stick with beef to make a delicious-tasting burger!
Grilled Turkey Burger Recipe
Have I convinced you that this grilled turkey burger recipe is in fact a burger? Or are you still on team “it’s something completely different?” Let me know what you thought of this recipe in the comments below or find Hey Grill Hey on all social media sites @heygrillhey.
Southwest Grilled Turkey Burger Crunchwrap
Turkey Burger Patties
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub (recipe in notes)
- 1 Tablespoon Hey Grilll Hey Fiesta Rub (recipe in notes)
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle in adobo (can liquid)
- ½ Tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup crushed chicarrons or breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- ¼ cup black beans (strained)
- ¼ cup fire roased tomatoes (strained and diced)
- ¼ cup roasted corn
- 6 large tortillas (burrito sized)
- 12 small corn tostadas
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup nacho cheese sauce
- Preheat. Heat your grill to medium-high heat (around 450 degrees F).
- Make the patties. In a large bowl, mix all the patty ingredients until well incorporated, then divide into 6 patties. Be sure to press them to an even thickness of about 1 to 1¼ inch thick all the way through for even cooking and consistency.
- Grill. Grill the patties for 4-6 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Assemble. Heat a well-greased cast iron skillet or plancha on the grill while you assemble the crunchwrap. Start by placing the large burrito on your workspace. Sprinkle with a handful of shredded Mexican blend cheese. Top with a tostada. Spoon 1 Tablespoon of cheese dip in the center of each tostada, followed by a grilled turkey burger patty.
- Finish assembling. Top each patty with a spoonful of nacho cheese dip, a second tostada, and a healthy sprinkle of more shredded cheese.
- Fold. Make sure your skillet is nice and hot because once you fold, you need to fry the cheese side shut otherwise they will unfold. To fold, pick a starting point and form a crease to bring the tortilla to the center of the tostada, continue folding the burrito down and around in this fashion, if it doesn’t come all the way to the middle, don’t worry, it will be fried shut by the cheese.
- Cook closed. Quickly and carefully place the crunchwrap cheese side down on the skillet and cook for 30-45 seconds to get crispy and sealed shut. Next, flip the crunchwrap over and cook the bottom for another 30-45 seconds.
- Make dipping sauce. Make the dipping sauce by stirring all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Serve. Serve the hot turkey burger crunchwraps with the dipping sauce. Enjoy!
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!