Grilled Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken is incredibly rich and savory, perfect for a nice dinner!
Creamy, cheesy homemade spinach artichoke filling is spooned into a chicken breast pocket, wrapped in bacon, and slow roasted in your grill. The filling becomes so melty and ooey gooey, the chicken breast stays juicy and the bacon renders and crisps so that every single bite is this glorious party of every flavor working together.
I got some inspiration for this dish from a video I saw on Facebook from Cafe Delites. Karina pan seared hers after stuffing, but I felt a call from the beyond to bacon wrap and grill these beautiful chicken breasts! If you’re looking for a bacon free, stove top version definitely check out her recipe!
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken on the Grill
This recipe is designed to cook over indirect heat on your grill. I like to use my pellet smoker to add the perfect amount of wood-fired smoky flavor to my spinach artichoke stuffed chicken, but you can use whatever type of grill you’ve got (or even your oven!) The key is utilizing indirect heat. That means that on a traditional grill, your gas burners or coals are hot on one side of your grill (the direct zone) and the other half of your grill has either super low heat or even no heat at all (the indirect zone).
By having your spinach artichoke stuffed chicken on the indirect side of your grill, the bacon can render and cook down without causing you any flare-ups from the fat dripping onto the flames. It also allows the meat and filling to cook through without burning the exterior of the bacon and chicken. Always cook your chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, using an internal thermometer to accurately read the temperature (I like this $29 instant read version from Thermoworks).
If you’re cooking in an oven, just follow the same time and temperature guidelines in the recipe below! Make sure you bake your spinach artichoke stuffed chicken on a rimmed baking sheet so the rendered bacon fat doesn’t make a mess in your oven.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 slices bacon
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup marinated artichokes with the brine chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked spinach
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat your smoker or grill to 350 degrees F for indirect cooking.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the spinach artichoke filling.
- In a small bowl,combine all of the ingredients for the spice seasoning. Sprinkle liberally on all sides of the chicken breasts.
- On a large cutting board, slice the chicken breasts open, without slicing all of the way through the breasts. Spoon a couple of tablepoons of the filling mixture into each breast and fold them closed.
- Wrap each chicken breast with about 3 slices of bacon. Secure the bacon ends with toothpicks, if necessary.
- Place the chicken breasts on the smoker or grill, close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. This will take about 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.