posted December 06, 2019
Grilled Scallops with a Lemon Herb Dressing
These Grilled Scallops are perfectly grilled and topped with a fresh lemon herb dressing. If you’re a fan of scallops, you’ll fall head over shells for these guys.
Scallops are very similar to lobster and crab taste-wise. They are quite sweet with a delicate flavor. Scallops, however, have a much firmer texture, almost chewy like a marshmallow. I understand that not everyone is a scallops fan, but if they are cooked correctly with a tasty sauce, you just might be able to turn anyone onto scallops.
I’m obviously partial to cooking pretty much everything on the grill, and these scallops are no exception. They cook up insanely fast (if you’ve been looking for a dinner ready in less than 20 minutes, this is the recipe for you!), and they taste amazing. Those grill marks give them an extra bit of pizzazz, and they are a nice and fancy dinner for special occasions, holidays, or anytime you’re wanting something unique and delicious.
The lemon herb dressing in this recipe is a nice vinaigrette with fresh herbs. Scallops are inherently lean, and the olive oil is a much-needed ingredient in the dressing that helps add more flavor to the scallops. Parsley and lemon add a punch of freshness to the entree without overwhelming the flavor of the scallops themselves.
Tips for Grilling Scallops
Scallops aren’t difficult to cook, but there are a few things you can focus on to make sure they are cooked well.
- Clean your grill. I recommend cooking these scallops on a clean grill to ensure the scallops don’t pick up any other flavors from previous food. Also, brush the grates with avocado oil prior to grilling so the scallops don’t stick to the grates.
- Get that grill HOT! When cooking scallops, you want a really hot grill. Scallops cook best good and fast on a hot grill.
- Dry those scallops. Make sure you dry the outside of your scallops well prior to cooking them on the grill. Grab a folded paper towel and pat completely dry. Don’t skip this step.
- Focus on internal temperature. Make sure you have a reliable meat thermometer on hand to ensure you are cooking your scallops to the correct temp. You want scallops cooked to 145 degrees F before pulling them off the grill.
How to Grill Scallops
Let’s get down to the nitty gritty on cooking these scallops. Pay attention to all the steps and follow along to get a beautiful result. A full printable recipe card is available at the bottom of this page for easy access to your favorite recipes.
- Preheat your grill for high heat. Preheat your grill to around 450 degrees F for direct grilling.
- Prep the scallops. Place the scallops on a baking sheet lined with a paper towel and pat the outside of the scallops completely dry with another paper towel. Season the scallops with salt and pepper on one side.
- Make the lemon herb dressing. Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and set aside for later use.
- Season the grates. Using a paper towel soaked in avocado oil, brush the grill grates with the avocado oil.
- Grill the scallops. Place the scallops seasoned side down on the grates. close the lid, and grill for 4 minutes. Use a thin fish spatula to flip the scallops, and grill for another 2 minutes with the lid closed. Remove the scallops from the grill when they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Drizzle with lemon herb dressing. Carefully remove the scallops from the grill. Drizzle with the lemon dressing, and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
How Long to Grill Scallops
Scallops are cooked and ready to eat in less than 10 minutes. In fact, you only need these on the grill for around 6 minutes (aiming for an internal temperature of 145 degrees F) before they are ready to serve.
Keep in mind that this is not an exact time, as you might be ready to pull them in around 5 minutes or just over 7 minutes as soon as they reach 145 degrees F.
More Grilled Seafood Recipes
Oh hey grill seafood recipes, hey! Whether you’re a fisher, or you just found a killer deal on fish at the store, I have a plethora of recipes to help you cook all that seafood to tasty, amazing perfection.
Grilled Scallops Recipe
This recipe was created for you, backyard griller! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero Check out more Hey Grill Hey behind the scenes action on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
- 1 pound jumbo sea scallops
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- avocado oil (for brushing on grill grates)
Lemon Herb Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon freshly minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat your grill to Medium-High heat (around 450 degrees F).
- Remove the scallops from their packaging and place them on a baking sheet lined with a paper towel. Pat the top of each scallop dry with another paper towel.
- Combine all ingredients for the lemon herb dressing in a bowl until well mixed and set aside.
- Season the scallops with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper on one side. Brush the top of the grill grates with a paper towel soaked in avocado oil. Immediately placed the scallops seasoned side down on the grill grates.
- Close the lid, and grill the scallops for 4 minutes. Open the lid, flip the scallops (I recommend using a thin fish spatula instead of tongs), and cook for an additional 2 minutes with the lid closed.
- Remove from the grill when the scallops reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Remove your scallops to a serving plate, drizzle with the lemon herb dressing, and serve with additional lemon wedges.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!