If you like the classic combo of steak and potatoes, these Grilled Pierogies with Steak and Chimichurri make for a flavor-packed appetizer. This post is sponsored by Mrs. T’s Pierogies.
WHAT ARE PIEROGIES?
Pierogies are typically stuffed with mashed potatoes, cheese, and other savory fillings. In this recipe, I’m using Mrs. T’s Pierogies, which are perfect eaten alone, dipped in tasty sauce, or mixed up with a variety of meats and flavors. You can sauté, bake, boil, fry, and grill them, making them a versatile food perfect as an appetizer, main course, or snack.
GRILLED PIEROGIES AND STEAK
Since pierogies are so versatile and come in many different flavors, I couldn’t help but put my own spin on them to make an appetizer full of texture and flavor. Mrs. T’s Pierogies are stuffed with creamy mashed potatoes, and what goes great with potatoes?
We all know steak and potatoes make the perfect meal, so to kick the flavor up a notch, I’ve added some herbaceous and acidic chimichurri to the mix. The crunchy/creamy combo of the pierogy combined with the juicy meat and colorful chimichurri make for one heck of an appetizer.
Grilling Tri Tip
To get my steak beautifully seasoned, I reached for some Hey Grill Hey Signature Beef Seasoning. It is the ideal seasoning for steak, brisket, burgers, potatoes, and more.
If you’d like to keep it simple, you can season with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder (see recipe below).
Once your tri tip is seasoned to your liking, toss it on the grill prepped for two-zone grilling. Begin grilling on indirect heat, then transfer to direct heat to your preferred temperature.
- Rare – 125 degrees
- Medium Rare – 135 degrees
- Medium – 145 degrees
- Medium Well – 155 degrees
- Well Done – 165 degrees
TIPS TO GRILLING THE BEST PIEROGIES
Grilling pierogies gives them a nice, crunchy crust while leaving the filling hot and creamy. Not only do they taste amazing grilled, it’s crazy easy to do! Check out these tips to get the best grilled pierogies:
- Use that oil! To get that crispy exterior on your pierogies, use olive, avocado, or canola that can handle high-heat grilling.
- Utilize two-zone cooking. Start cooking your pierogies on the low temp side of the grill to slowly heat them through from frozen. Then move them to the hot side of your grill to crisp them up and get that nice golden brown exterior.
- Create layers of texture. Pierogies have a soft interior and a crispy exterior. Pair them with a juicy, chewy steak and some sweet chimichurri or ranch to get a variety of textures and flavor from your pierogies.
- Don’t be afraid of a little color! Grill to golden brown and feel free to get those great grill marks on your pierogies to give them an extra crunch and a boost of flavor.
Hey steak lover! Check out these other awesome steak recipes on the site!
GRILLED PIEROGIES WITH STEAK AND CHIMICHURRI RECIPE
Watch the video below and I’ll show you step-by-step how I make these grilled pierogies at home. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipe videos on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page. Follow along and let’s make delicious food together!
Grilled Pierogies with Steak and Chimichurri
- 1 package Mrs. T's Classic Onion Pierogies
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
Tri Tip Steak
- 1 2-3 pound tri tip steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley (packed)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 3-4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees for two-zone cooking.
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients for the chimichurri. Pulse until well combined, but you can still see small pieces of the herbs. Pour into a serving bowl, cover, and set in the fridge until ready to use. Can be made several hours in advance.
- Toss Mrs. T's Classic Onion Pierogies in 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- In small bowl combine salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and season tri-tip on all sides.
- Grill tri-tip over direct heat for 3-4 minutes per side.
- After you flip the tri-tip the first time, place the pierogies on the indirect heat side of the grill.
- Close the lid on the grill and allow to cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Move the tri-tip to the indirect side of the grill, and move pierogies to the direct side of the grill.
- Remove when pierogies are golden brown and when tri tip is cooked to your preferred temperature.