Everybody needs a beautiful and festive summer dessert that will gather oohs and aaaahhs from the crowd. I mean, what is even the point of bringing food to a party if it isn’t going to garner the most compliments anyways? Problem with this (especially around holidays like the 4th of July) is that pretty summer desserts are a TON of work. All of these pretty Pinterest perfect recipes are all like, “individually skewer each of these fruits that you spent the last hour cutting into stars into a perfect pattern of the American flag! Then eat immediately before your fruit browns and turns nasty or anybody even has a chance to marvel at your skills.” Ah yeah, sign me up for that food assignment at the pot luck. Hard pass. Here to save your summer dessert woes is the Grilled Lemon Cake with Berries and Cream.
All this dessert took was a quick stop at the store, a few passes from my trusty knife, and a few minutes on my grill. Easy peasy, jaw-droppingly beautiful, completely festive for the summer holidays. Spare yourself the heat of baking anything and pick up a lemon loaf cake (I got mine from the bakery at my grocery store,) some fresh berries, and whipping cream and you are seriously set to go.
The sugar in the cake caramelizes on the grill in just moments and adds a layer of texture and flavor that is just the bomb. Topped with seasonal berries and freshly whipped cream this is a dessert that would win a blue ribbon in the best dish contest. Even if the other guests don’t know that it’s a competition, you can buy your own blue ribbon and place it on the dish and then nobody will have to guess.
If you need any more 4th of July BBQ inspiration, check out my dream menu for grilled 4th of July yummies!
PS, my awesome friend Brooke with Brooke Moon Photography took these pictures. Aren’t they AMAZING?! She puts my skills to shame. She’s taken some time off since having her latest babe, but I’m trying to talk her into shooting for me more often. Girl’s got skills!!
- 1 loaf lemon cake sliced
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Place the whipping cream in a large mixing bowl and beat on high for several minutes until stiff peaks firm. Don't over-beat. Add in the powdered sugar and mix in slowly. Refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high (400-500 degrees.) Brush the melted butter on both sides of the lemon cake slices. Place on the grill at a diagonal for 30 seconds then turn to the opposite diagonal for another 30 seconds to create beautiful grill marks. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Transfer the grilled cake slices to a serving platter, top with the whipped cream, and fresh berries. You can also set out the individual components and allow guests to build their own.