posted April 01, 2021
Grilled Ham Steak with Blackberry Ancho Chile Glaze
My Grilled Ham Steak recipe is as easy as they come. Grilled with a blackberry ancho chile glaze, it’s a great way to prepare a quick and easy meal that is loaded with flavor.
Grilled Ham Steak
Summer is my absolute favorite time of year. We have a standing tradition of family dinner on the patio, followed by slow evenings on the front porch watching our kiddos ride bikes and play basketball in the driveway. I know how hectic things can be in the summer with camps, lessons, travel, and reunions, so this dinner time ritual is that one part of our day where we set it all aside and just hang out together.
Since the days can be busy, I’m always looking for quick meals in under 30 minutes that I can get on the grill and onto the plate. As a rule, they’ve also got to pack a punch of delicious flavor. With the thicker slices, it works perfectly as an entree and cooks in just minutes.
My favorite part about this recipe is having that grilled ham steak glaze slathered all over and grilled just long enough to make everything caramelized and absolutely gorgeous. This is a meal you’ll come back to over and over again.
Grilled Ham Steak Glaze
The blackberry ancho chile glaze in this recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and heat. The heat is very mild, and my kids loved it. Add this to your dinner rotation, and I guarantee you’ll have a bunch of happy loved ones. I feel like it is the perfect summer sauce, especially at our house where we grow our own blackberries. The kids love getting involved and picking the berries for our meal!
You should be able to locate dried ancho chiles at your regular grocery store in the International/Hispanic food aisle. If you don’t see them labeled as dried ancho ciles, they might also be marketed as dried poblano peppers. These guys have a great flavor and are utterly perfect for adding a nice smoky warmth and body to the sauce.
How to Grill Ham Steak
It is ridiculously easy to grill ham steak! These glazed steaks only require a few ingredients and a handful of steps to get them ready for dinner. If you’re looking for a quick meal, these will be ready in 30 minutes or less!
- Make the glaze. Combine all ingredients for the glaze (scroll below for a full ingredients list) in a saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat, remove the stem and seeds from the chile, and puree the sauce in a blender. Return the glaze to the saucepan and cook it for about 5 minutes until the sauce is a thicker consistency.
- Grill the steak. Glaze the steak and place it on a gas grill preheated to High heat. Grill the steaks for 3-4 minutes per side, glazing a couple times to give those ham steaks loads of flavor.
- Enjoy. That’s it! No joke! Remove the ham steaks from the grill and enjoy. I like to sprinkle extra blackberries on top of the steaks and serve with extra glaze on the side.
If you fancy yourself a visual learner, scroll below to the recipe card for a full step-by-step video on making this grilled ham steak!
How Long to Grill Ham Steak
The ham steaks used in this recipe are pre-cooked, so you’re essentially warming them up on the grill and getting the glaze to tighten up a bit. Grill the ham steaks for 2-3 minutes per side, rotating after a minute or so to give them those tantalizing grill marks.
Thicker ham steaks might require a few more minutes to heat through, but you can bet your ham steaks will be ready to go in around 10 minutes or less. You can always use an instant read thermometer and heat your ham until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
What to Serve with Ham Steaks?
Looking to make these ham steaks into a complete meal? Try them out with these delicious sides from Hey Grill Hey!
Grilled Ham Steak Recipe
Grilled Ham Steaks with a Blackberry Ancho Chile Glaze
- 4 ham steak
- 3 ounces whole blackberries (optional garnish)
Blackberry Ancho Chile Glaze
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 dried ancho chile
- ½ medium onion (quartered)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces whole blackberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Make the glaze. In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients for the glaze. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend the glaze and reduce. Remove the stem and seeds from the rehydrated ancho chile. Pour all sauce ingredients into a blender (including the seeded pepper) and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan and keep on low heat, stirring occasionally for 5 more minutes.
- Preheat the grill and glaze the ham. Preheat your grill to High heat. Remove the ham steaks from their packaging and brush lightly on both sides with the blackberry ancho glaze.
- Grill the ham steaks. Place the ham steaks on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, brushing with additional glaze as desired. Cook until the internal temperature of your ham steaks reaches at least 145 degrees F.
- Enjoy! Serve immediately with fresh blackberries, if desired, and additional sauce on the side.
**This post was originally published in July 2018. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad