posted July 10, 2019
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
These Grilled Chicken Drumsticks are delicious, quick to make, and are total crowd-pleasers. Ready in less than an hour, and with only 4 ingredients, these drumsticks can feed your whole family without breaking the bank.
BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Chicken drumsticks are awesome grilled on the BBQ hot and fast using two-zone grilling. They’re also crazy easy to make! Simply place them on direct heat until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Baste them with your favorite BBQ sauce, then move them to the indirect side of the grill until the internal temp reaches 175 degrees F.
This recipe is extremely versatile, and you can play around with different rubs and seasonings as well as different BBQ sauces each time you make it.
Word to the wise: When seasoning your chicken, do not use a sugar-based rub because the chicken will be on high heat for a good amount of time, and you don’t want the sugar to burn. Other than that, get creative with your seasonings and sauces. Patio Provisions is stocked full with Hey Grill Hey Signature rubs and sauces so you can enjoy Susie’s awesome flavors delivered straight to your door.
How to Grill Chicken Drumsticks
Remember how I said these drumsticks were a breeze to make? I wasn’t lying. Here’s how to get amazingly juicy drumsticks that are ready in less than an hour:
- Preheat and season. Get your favorite grill up and running for two-zone grilling. Aim for between 375-400 degrees F for the direct side of heat. Season your drumsticks on all sides with garlic salt and pepper. If you’re wanting a bigger punch of flavor, my Signature Chicken Seasoning is amazing with just a kiss of heat.
- Grill on direct heat. Place your chicken drumsticks on the direct heat side of your grill and cook them for 30-35 minutes. Flip them every 5-7 minutes until the internal temp of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Get saucy! Move the drumsticks to the indirect side of the grill, and baste them with your favorite BBQ sauce (I love these with my Teriyaki BBQ Sauce. It’s sweet, tangy, and perfect on chicken).
- Set the sauce. Grill for an additional 5-10 minutes until the sauce sets and begins caramelize and the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees F.
Give your drumsticks a moment to rest, and then dig in! My kids love how tasty these drumsticks are, and they love that these are good and messy finger food. Keep some paper towels on hand, and you’re good to go!
How Long to Grill Chicken Drumsticks
These chicken drumsticks take approximately 35-45 minutes to grill. They need 30-35 minutes over direct heat and an additional 5-10 minutes over indirect heat to set the BBQ sauce and reach 175 degrees F internal temperature.
My recommendation whenever you’re grilling or smoking meat? Cook to temperature and not to time. Invest in a good, reliable meat thermometer and check the thermometer more than watching the clock. It’s especially important to cook chicken to 165 degrees F as this is the safe internal temperature for cooked chicken. I always aim for 175 degrees F when grilling drumsticks because they have more connective tissue and the meat will fall off the bone if you cook them to this higher temperature.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
There’s nothing quite as delicious as juicy chicken cooked on the grill. If you’re looking for more great chicken recipes, I have a few you’ll love on the site:
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Follow the recipe, and I’ll teach you the simple steps to making your own grilled chicken drumsticks at home. Hey Grill Hey is dedicated to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes and videos on YouTube, Instagram, or our Facebook Page.
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Teriyaki BBQ Sauce
- Preheat your grill for two-zone grilling, with the direct heat at 375-400 degrees F.
- Season drumsticks on all sides with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Grill on direct heat for 30-35 minutes, flipping every 5-7 minutes. Grill until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Move the drumsticks to the indirect side of the grill, and baste them with the Teriyaki BBQ Sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce). Grill for an additional 5-10 minutes on indirect heat until the sauce sets and begins caramelize and the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees F.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad