posted September 28, 2021
Grilled Spaghetti Squash (with Two DELICIOUS Fillings!)
Grilled spaghetti squash makes for a sweet and healthy side dish. Add in a tasty filling, and you’ve got a complete meal ready to feed the whole family. This is one vegetable that is as delicious as it is versatile.
Can You Grill Spaghetti Squash?
Yes, my friends! You can grill spaghetti squash! In fact, spaghetti squash is one vegetable that tastes AMAZING when cooked on the grill.
No need to turn the oven on for this guy! Cooking spaghetti squash on the grill brings out the natural flavor of the squash and leaves you with squash that is perfectly cooked. No more slimy, overcooked squash at dinnertime!
Grilled Spaghetti Squash
Once you try these spaghetti squash recipes on the grill, you’ll never go back to the oven. Grilling adds so much natural flavor and results in the most amazing texture. When you pull this squash off the grill you’ve got tender, sweet squash dotted with rich, roasted bits of the caramelization.
I often post a snap of our dinner on Instagram and after I posted about our grilled spaghetti squash a few years back, many followers commented asking how I grill my spaghetti squash. It’s a vegetable that does double duty as dinner, and I’ve decided to share not one, but TWO fillings recipes for this squash, so you can make your dinner the best ever!
How to Grill Spaghetti Squash
Here’s how to grill spaghetti squash to tasty, squashy perfection.
- Preheat. This spaghetti squash can be cooked on any grill you have in the yard as long as you can prepare it for indirect or two-zone cooking. I made this on my pellet grill, and it turned out awesome.
- Slice. Simply start by cutting the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. I say simply as a bit of a joke because if you’ve ever had to cut a spaghetti squash in half, you know it can be a pain in the butt. Make sure you’ve got a great, sharp chef’s knife to help you get the job done. Trim off about an inch from each end of the squash before slicing lengthwise. Use a big spoon to scrape the inside seeds and strings out and you’re ready to go!
- Season. Season the squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper. You can also prepare a sweet filling or sauce like the maple brown sugar one listed below.
- Grill. Place the seasoned squash on a baking sheet and grill the squash over indirect heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The squash is done when it is fork-tender, and the strands pull apart easily.
- Enjoy. Remove the spaghetti squash from the grill and serve immediately.
Grilled Spaghetti Squash Fillings
This spaghetti squash is delicious and ready to be enjoyed right off the grill. If you’re in the mood for a little extra something (or if you want to turn this into a complete meal), make these fillings to mix in with the grilled spaghetti squash.
Maple Brown Sugar Spaghetti Squash
For a sweeter spaghetti squash (excellent for side dishes!). Make this maple brown sugar squash following these steps:
In a small bowl combine the following:
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
Spoon the mixture inside the cut and cleaned spaghetti squash halves before grilling according to the instructions in the recipe card below.
Baked Alfredo Spaghetti Squash
To turn your spaghetti squash into a meal, try out this alfredo recipe. Here’s what you’ll need to make this filling:
- 8 Tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces Parmesan cheese
Grill spaghetti squash according to instructions below. In a medium saucepan, slowly simmer all ingredients until fully incorporated, whisking frequently.
Ladle the sauce into the grilled squash halves, top with additional Parmesan cheese, and return to the grill for 10 minutes or until the cheese has started to bubble and brown.
More Grilled Squash Recipes
Spaghetti squash isn’t the only vegetable you can cook on the grill. Check out these other grilled squash recipes from Hey Grill Hey.
- Grilled Butternut Squash with Browned Butter and Sage
- Cheesy Grilled Zucchini Boats
- How to Roast Pumpkin on the Grill
Grilled Spaghetti Squash Recipe
This post was originally published in September 2017. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
Follow the recipe below for perfectly grilled spaghetti squash (my favorite grill for this is a pellet grill). Once you’ve got the cooking method down, you can start adding in some of these fun ideas for the perfect side dish or a complete meal! If you have any concerns or questions, pop them in the comments section below, and I’ll happily help you make the most of your grilled spaghetti squash!
Grilled Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat. Preheat your grill for indirect or two-zone grilling (where one side has heat and one side doesn't) to 375 or 400 degrees F.
- Season the squash. Cut the ends off of the spaghetti squash and then cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and pulp with a large spoon. Place each half of the squash cut side up on a metal baking sheet. Drizzle each half of the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the spaghetti squash. Place the baking sheet on the side of your grill with no direct heat and close the lid. Roast for 45-60 minutes (depending on how big your squash is. Check the squash with a fork for tenderness, the strands should pull apart easily when it is done.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!