posted April 15, 2020
Garlic Butter Burgers
Garlic butter burgers are next-level backyard burgers. It’s like garlic bread smashed into a cheeseburger and fell onto a margherita pizza. Perfect flavor combos in a burger like you’ve never had before.
What are Garlic Butter Burgers?
Toasty garlic butter buns, savory and sweet roasted tomatoes, fresh basil, melty mozzarella, and succulent juicy grass fed ground beef. These burgers are borderline heavenly. These burgers pay homage to the world’s best food, margherita pizza, while still holding true to a burger’s beefy roots. Perfect size for a party, you’ll make these burgers over and over again throughout those warm summer months.
How to Make Garlic Butter Burgers:
These burgers have a couple of steps. but come together really quickly. Having an overview of how the cook is going to go down is super important. This run-down will help you prepare everything beforehand, so when you step in front of the grill you’ll be prepared to stay there start to finish.
- Prep your patties. Get your ground beef divided, formed and seasoned.
- Preheat your grill. We want high, direct heat (around 450 degrees F) so we get a nice crispy crust on our burgers.
- Butter your buns. You’ll be toasting your buns during the cook, butter them before you head outside.
- Assemble your toppings. Get the tomatoes in the grill basket and prep your mozzarella slices and basil leaves.
- Get grilling! It’s go time. Grill your burgers and tomatoes side by side. When they are almost done, top the burgers with cheese and toast the buns.
- Stack the burgers. Toasty bun, juicy burger, grilled tomatoes, and fresh basil. Perfection!
What’s the Best Grill for These Burgers?
Nothing quite compares to a burger cooked over hot charcoal (in my opinion). It gives you such a classic backyard BBQ flavor! However, you can cook these burgers on any grill that will get you high temperatures over direct heat (450 degrees F). Gas, electric, and pellet grills are all good options. If you’re in the market for a new grill or just want more info on grill types, check out my Backyard BBQ Grill Guide.
Creative Burger Recipes
If you like to step outside the box with your burgers, you’ve come to the right site! I’ve got loads of fun and flavorful burger recipes to keep your creative juices flowing.
Garlic Butter Burgers Recipe
Garlic Butter Burgers
- 1 lb 80/20
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- 5 Tablespoons garlic butter
- 4 hamburger buns
- Divide the ground beef into 4 equal portions for larger burgers. Press a small well the middle of each burger to help the meat cook more evenly and not swell up in the middle during grilling. Season on both sides with the garlic salt and black pepper.
- Preheat your grill to High (around 450-500 degrees F).
- Slice each roll in half and spread the inside of each with about 1/2 Tablespoon of the garlic butter.
- Rinse the tomatoes and place them in a vegetable grilling basket. Stir in the remaining Tablespoon of garlic butter.
- Place the burgers on the grill grates and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip the burgers and add the tomatoes in the vegetable basket to the grill grates. Stir the tomatoes frequently and watch the temperature on your burgers.
- When your burgers reach 10 degrees away from being finished to your target temperature (155 degrees if you're following FDA recommendations), top your burgers with the mozzarella and add the buns to the grill grates to toast.
- Remove the burgers when they read 165 degrees with an internal thermometer and the cheese is melted. Assemble the burgers by placing a burger patty on the bottom bun, top with some of the burst tomatoes, a couple of fresh basil leaves, and then the top bun. Serve immediately and enjoy!
**This post was originally written in May, 2016. It has been updated with new pictures and information, but the recipe remains the same.**
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad