There is nothing more satisfying than a perfectly grilled, juicy cheeseburger loaded up with that perfect mix of toppings. This Bourbon BBQ Crunch Burger is sponsored by Kettle Brand Chips, and their new Bourbon BBQ Chips acted as the perfect sweet, savory, and crunchy topping to my burger, especially paired with my homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce.
I always love a good burger, but since May is National Burger Month, I find myself firing up the grill for burgers even more frequently than normal. It’s that perfect combination of warmer weather with cool evenings and that eager anticipation of summer that makes a casual gathering with friends or family dinner on the patio even more enjoyable! Since burgers are a staple, I always try my best to mix things up and bring in new and exciting flavors to keep things interesting! That’s where Kettle Brand Bourbon BBQ Potato Chips come in.
This Bourbon BBQ flavor is brand new to the Kettle Brand line-up this year and it is the perfect addition to my grilled bourbon burgers and the sweet/tangy homemade bourbon BBQ sauce. I went full bourbon flavor and I have no regrets! I always start with 80/20 ground round or ground chuck for the perfect fat to meat ratio and full bodied beef flavor. To that, I mix in a splash of bourbon, portion into 1/4 pound patties, and season simply with pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Pretty straight forward!
These patties are grilled over high heat, topped with white cheddar, and slathered in Bourbon BBQ Sauce for all of that melty, run down your fingers juiciness that every good burger needs. To push things from awesome to epic, I stacked Kettle Brand Bourbon BBQ Chips on top of the burger. That extra layer of flavor from the chips, as well as the sturdy crunch, makes these burgers pretty much impossible to put down once you start eating.
Bourbon BBQ Crunch Burger
- 2 pounds 85/15 ground beef chuck
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 bag Bourbon BBQ Kettle Brand Chips
- 6 slices white cheddar cheese
- assorted burger toppings lettuce, red onion, tomato
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lemons zest and juice
- 1 Tablespoon Homemade Sweet BBQ Rub link in recipe notes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the Bourbon BBQ Sauce in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill to high heat (around 450 degrees). In a large bowl, place your ground beef and pour in the bourbon. Mix very gently. Overmixing can make your burgers tough. Form into 6 individual patties. Season on both sides with the burger seasoning.
- Place the burgers on the grill grate and cook for 6-8 minutes per side, or until burgers are within 10 degrees of desired doneness. Then top with a slice of white cheddar, close the lid on your grill and cook for 1-2 more minutes to let the cheese melt. The FDA recommends ground beef is cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Time to build your burgers! If you want the best burger, toss your buns on the grill for 1-2 minutes to toast them. Assemble your burgers with lettuce on the bottom, followed by any onions and tomatoes. Top with the cheesy patty, a few spoonfuls of your Bourbon BBQ Sauce, and a nice handful of the Bourbon BBQ Kettle Brand chips. Finish with the top bun and maybe a toothpick to hold it all together. Serve with napkins for juicy fingers.