posted May 23, 2018
Bourbon BBQ Crunch Burger
When you’re looking to step outside the typical burger mold, try this recipe for my Bourbon BBQ Crunch Burger. It’s tasty, it’s crunchy, and it’s full of big flavor!
Bourbon Crunch Burger
There is nothing more satisfying than a perfectly grilled, juicy cheeseburger loaded up with that perfect mix of toppings. This Bourbon BBQ Crunch Burger is topped with Bourbon BBQ Chips to add a sweet, savory, and crunchy topping to the burger. Pair it with some homemade bourbon BBQ sauce, and you’re in for one tasty burger, my friend.
I always love a good burger, and when the days get crazy busy, I find myself firing up the grill for burgers even more frequently than normal. Burgers are also awesome in the spring. It’s that perfect combination of warmer weather with cool evenings and that eager anticipation of summer that makes a casual gathering with friends or family dinner on the patio even more enjoyable! Since burgers are a staple, I always try my best to mix things up and bring in new and exciting flavors to keep things interesting!
Burger with Bourbon BBQ Sauce
I went full bourbon flavor with this burger, and I have no regrets! I always start with 80/20 ground round or ground chuck for the perfect fat to meat ratio and full-bodied beef flavor. To that, I mix in a splash of bourbon, portion into 1/4 pound patties, and season simply with pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Pretty straightforward!
These patties are grilled over high heat, topped with white cheddar, and slathered in Bourbon BBQ Sauce for all of that melty, run down your fingers juiciness that every good burger needs. To push things from awesome to epic, I stacked Kettle Brand Bourbon BBQ Chips on top of the burger. That extra layer of flavor from the chips, as well as the sturdy crunch, makes these burgers pretty much impossible to put down once you start eating.
How to Make a Bourbon Crunch Burger
Here’s how to make an oh-so-delicious bourbon crunch burger.
- Sauce. The bourbon BBQ sauce really makes this burger pop. It’s also super easy to make! Simply combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes. Allow the sauce to cool and transfer to a blender. Blend until nice and smooth. Set the sauce aside while you make the beefy goodness.
- Beef. Preheat your grill to 450 degrees F and combine the beef with bourbon in a large mixing bowl. Form the meat into patties, and season on all sides with Beef Seasoning or equal parts salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Grill the burgers for 6-8 minutes per side, aiming for the burgers to be between 155-160 degrees F.
- Crunch. Once your patties are done, it’s time to assemble and add the signature crunch! Top your buns with a patty, cheese, bourbon BBQ sauce, and a handful of bourbon BBQ chips. Have other favorite toppings like onion, lettuce, and tomato? Go ahead and toss a few of these on as well!
More Grilled Burger Recipes
Looking for more awesome burger recipes from Hey Grill Hey? Check out a few favorites below!
Bourbon Burger Recipe
Ready to take on this behemoth of a burger? Scroll below to the printable recipe card and get goin’. Oh, and make sure to invite a few friends over. This is a burger ready for a party!
Bourbon BBQ Crunch Burger
- 2 pounds 85/15 ground beef chuck
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 bag Bourbon BBQ Kettle Brand Chips
- 6 slices white cheddar cheese
- assorted burger toppings (lettuce, red onion, tomato)
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup onion (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 lemons (zest and juice)
- 1 Tablespoon Homemade Sweet BBQ Rub (link in recipe notes)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Make the BBQ sauce. Combine all ingredients for the Bourbon BBQ Sauce in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Prep the grill and beef. Preheat your grill to high heat (around 450 degrees). In a large bowl, place your ground beef and pour in the bourbon. Mix very gently. Overmixing can make your burgers tough. Form into 6 individual patties. Season on both sides with the burger seasoning.
- Grill the burgers. Place the burgers on the grill grates and cook for 6-8 minutes per side, or until burgers are within 10 degrees of desired doneness. Then top with a slice of white cheddar, close the lid on your grill and cook for 1-2 more minutes to let the cheese melt. The FDA recommends ground beef is cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Assemble. Time to build your burgers! If you want the best burger, toss your buns on the grill for 1-2 minutes to toast them. Assemble your burgers with lettuce on the bottom, followed by any onions and tomatoes. Top with the cheesy patty, a few spoonfuls of your Bourbon BBQ Sauce, and a nice handful of the Bourbon BBQ Kettle Brand chips. Finish with the top bun and maybe a toothpick to hold it all together. Serve with napkins for juicy fingers.
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!