This Smoked Trout Dip is a light and fresh way to enjoy smoked fish. Made with homemade smoked trout, cream cheese, lemon, and fresh herbs, it tastes great with fresh cut vegetables and your favorite crackers.
Smoked Trout Dip
If you follow Hey Grill Hey, you know I’m a big fan of smoked fish. I also love when my home-smoked fish are used in an appetizer. This smoked trout dip is following suit with an extremely fresh taste that will give your guests a refreshing, light smoked snack prior to the main dinner.
This smoked trout dip can either be made with homemade Smoked Trout (click this link to head to the recipe), or you can purchase it pre-made from the store. No judgement either way, but I personally think smoking the trout yourself makes the dip SO much better. However, it you’re short on time, buying smoked trout at the store is perfectly acceptable.
Oh, and one final note on this dip. If you prefer the taste of salmon, feel free to swap out the smoked trout for smoked salmon. It’ll also taste amazing. I’m all for making what you like best, so if salmon makes you happy, this quick substitution is an easy one.
Smoked Trout Cream Cheese Dip
While many smoked fish dips use mayonnaise or sour cream as a base, I find that cream cheese pairs best with the trout and gives you a creamier, more hearty scoop. That’s why I use both cream cheese and sour cream in my dip. You’ll get a nice, mellow flavor with this combo that you don’t always get with mayo or sour cream alone.
Starting with cream cheese allows you to actually taste the smoked trout without it overwhelming the taste of the fish. After all, if you went through the effort of smoking your trout, you want to be able to taste it!
Smoked Trout Dip Ingredients
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to assemble to make this smoked trout dip. When in doubt, go for the freshest ingredients you can; it’ll make all the difference in the final product. Exact amounts are available in the printable recipe card below (scroll to the bottom of the post for this information).
- Smoked Trout (you can make your own or purchase it pre-made at the store)
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Flat Leaf Parsley
- Whole Grain Mustard
- Lemon Zest and Juice
- Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
How to Make Smoked Trout Dip
Once you have all your ingredients assembled and ready to go, the process of making smoked trout dip is incredibly easy. This dip only requires you to follow two steps. That’s all. Are you ready for them? You sure? Here’s the [extremely] grueling process:
- Make the dip. Combine all ingredients for the smoked trout dip in a mixing bowl and stir well until combined. I prefer to add the trout last and gently mix it in to keep it from breaking apart too much. Once the dip is made add additional salt to taste. Every smoked trout will differ a bit in saltiness, so it’s crucial to leave this final step for last so your dip comes out with the right amount of saltiness.
- Transfer to serving dish. Transfer the mixed trout dip to a nice serving dish and serve with your favorite crudites and top with fresh cracked black pepper. Placing your crackers and vegetables on a large platter with 1-2 serving bowls full of trout dip is a gorgeous way to present this appetizer. You can also prepare two separate serving platters to have spread throughout your venue for maximum snacking.
I suppose you might have to add an additional step in there to prepare your crudites. Baby carrots (or sliced whole carrots), cucumbers, sliced bell peppers, celery, and snow snap peas all taste incredible with this dip. I also like to throw out some crackers for added variety and crunch.
More Smoked Seafood Recipes
I’m a big fan of smoking seafood. There’s something about the combination of the smoke and fish that just makes my taste buds do a happy dance. Check out more smoked seafood recipes below:
Smoked Trout Dip Recipe
Let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Making good food for a weekend party should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when making delicious weekday meals. Check it out today!
Smoked Trout Dip
- 8 ounces smoked trout
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons chives (minced)
- 3 Tablespoons flat leaf parsley (minced)
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Mix the trout dip. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently mix until combined.
- Transfer to serving dish. After you mix in everything, add salt as needed to taste. The saltiness will depend highly on how salty your fish is, so avoid adding salt until you can taste the mixed dip. Transfer the dip to a serving bowl (or two).
- Serve! This dip is great served alongside crudites such as carrots, cucumbers, sliced bell peppers, and snap peas. It's also great with crackers, toasted bagels, and more.