posted January 21, 2020
Smoked Salmon Dip
Smoked Salmon Dip is a rich and creamy dip or spread for crackers, bread, and crunchy vegetables. Made with a softened cream cheese base and combined with a home-smoked salmon, this dip takes the flavors to the next level!
Best Smoked Salmon Dip
Smoked salmon dip is a classic appetizer, and for good reason! The flavors of hardwood smoke and sweet salmon combined with cool cream cheese and fresh lemon make for an absolutely irresistible dip. I’ve served this dip at many gatherings, and it’s always a crowd favorite.
Most recipes you find online for smoked salmon dip call for purchasing pre-smoked and vacuum sealed salmon. While this is a perfectly fine way to make the dip (and there are plenty of good-quality smoked salmon options on the market), nothing tastes quite as good as smoking the salmon yourself.
Hot Smoked Salmon Dip
There are two different types of smoked salmon: cold smoked salmon, which is typically salt cured before being smoked and sliced thin, or hot smoked salmon, which is cooked through on the smoker and then flaked. For smoked salmon dip, I prefer using a Hot Smoked Salmon that will flake and mix beautifully into the dip.
For you cold smoked salmon fans out there, try out my Smoked Salmon Appetizer. It’s another awesome appetizer that’ll wow all your guests.
This recipe calls for 8 oz of hot smoked salmon (about 2 portions) so I usually smoke a few whole salmon fillets to eat with my family and reserve enough salmon to use in this dip the next day. I season the salmon with simple salt and pepper or with a lemon pepper seasoning before smoking and then cook at 225 degrees F until the salmon reads 145 degrees F internal temperature and flakes when gently pressed with a fork.
Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
Several variations exist with this dip where you can alter the creamy base of the dip to change the flavors. Some people use mayo or sour cream, but my absolute favorite is a cream cheese base. There is nothing more iconic or perfectly balanced than smoked salmon and cream cheese.
When preparing this recipe, make sure your cream cheese is fully softened so the smoked salmon combines easily into a smooth mixture. If the cream cheese is cold, it can create lumps in your dip or your salmon will break apart too much when trying to combine everything.
Here’s what you’ll need for this dip (exact measurements available in the recipe card below):
- Lemon Pepper
- Softened Cream Cheese
- Greek Yogurt
- Lemon Juice
- Dill Weed
- Smoked Paprika
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Lemon Zest
Once you have all the ingredients assembled, you’re ready to smoke the salmon and mix the dip!
How to Make Smoked Salmon Dip
This appetizer is easy to make, and believe me when I say it is worth it to smoke your own fish versus buying the store-bought kind. It’s ready in 3 quick steps, and once made, you’ll have an appetizer ready to feed a [hungry] crowd.
- Smoke the salmon. Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F. Season the salmon with lemon pepper seasoning (or simply salt and pepper, if you prefer) and smoke until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145 degrees F. Remove the fish from the grill and allow it to cool fully. Once cooled, flake the salmon.
- Mix the dip. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the salmon. Stir thoroughly. When well combined, gently fold in the flaked salmon. Transfer the salmon dip to a serving bowl. Garnish with the fresh lemon zest and additional dill (if desired) before serving.
- Serve! Feel free to serve this smoked salmon dip with whatever you prefer. This dip tastes great with crackers, sliced baguettes, and your favorite crunchy vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, and cucumbers.
More Salmon Recipes
Are you a salmon lover like me? Does salmon satisfy pretty much any day of the week? If so, check out more of these salmon recipes from Hey Grill Hey. They’re all seasoned to perfection to bring out that perfect salmon flavor that matches beautifully with smoking or grilling.
Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Seasoning
Sweet & Smoky Salmon Seasoning
Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon
Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
Let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
- 8 oz salmon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened )
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon dill weed (minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F. Season the salmon with the lemon pepper seasoning and place in the smoker. Smoke until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (about 30-45 minutes). Allow the salmon to cool before flaking.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the salmon. Stir thoroughly. When well combined, gently fold in the flaked salmon. Garnish with the fresh lemon zest and additional dill (if desired) before serving.
- I recommend serving the smoked salmon dip with crackers, sliced baguettes, and your favorite crunchy vegetables like bell peppers and cucumbers.
**This post was originally published January 2019. It has since been updated with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!