Smoked Salmon Dip is a rich and creamy dip or spread for crackers, bread, and crunchy vegetables. The home-smoked salmon in this dip takes the flavors to the next level!
Best Smoked Salmon Dip
Smoked salmon dip is a classic, and for good reason. The flavors of hardwood smoke and sweet salmon combined with cool cream cheese and fresh lemon make an absolutely irresistible dip! Most recipes you find online call for purchasing pre-smoked and vacuum sealed salmon. There is good quality smoked salmon on the market, but nothing tastes as good as smoking the salmon yourself.
There are two different types of smoked salmon; cold smoked salmon, which is typically salt cured before being smoked and sliced thin, or hot smoked salmon, which is cooked through on the smoker and then flaked. For smoked salmon dip, I prefer using a Hot Smoked Salmon that will flake and mix beautifully into the dip.
This recipe only calls for 4 oz of hot smoked salmon (about 1 individual portion) so I usually smoke a whole filet to eat with my family and reserve enough salmon to use in this dip the next day. I season the salmon with simple salt and pepper or with a lemon pepper seasoning before smoking and then cook at 225 degrees F until the salmon reads 145 degrees F internal temperature and flakes when gently pressed with a fork.
Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
Several variations exist with this dip where you can alter the creamy base of the dip to change the flavors. Some people use mayo or sour cream, but my absolute favorite is a cream cheese base. There is nothing more iconic or perfectly balanced than smoked salmon and cream cheese.
When preparing this recipe, make sure your cream cheese is fully softened so the smoked salmon combines easily into a smooth mixture. If the cream cheese is cold, it can create lumps in your dip or your salmon will break apart too much when trying to combine everything.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Dip
This smoked salmon dip is easy to make, and believe me when I say it is worth it to smoke your own fish versus buying the store-bought kind. It’s ready in 3 quick steps, and once made, you’ll have an appetizer ready to feed a [hungry] crowd.
- Smoke the salmon. Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F. Season the salmon and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Once cooled, flake the salmon.
- Mix the dip. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the salmon. Stir thoroughly. When well combined, gently fold in the flaked salmon. Garnish with the fresh lemon zest and additional dill (if desired) before serving.
- Serve! This dip tastes great with crackers, sliced baguettes, and your favorite crunchy vegetables like bell peppers and cucumbers.
More Salmon Recipes
Are you a salmon lover like me? Does salmon satisfy pretty much any day of the week? If so, check out more of these salmon recipes from Hey Grill Hey. They’re all seasoned to perfection to bring out that perfect salmon flavor that matches beautifully with smoking or grilling.
Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
Let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Making good food for a weekend party should easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when making something for an upcoming get together. Check it out today!
Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
- 4 oz salmon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon dill weed minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F. Season the salmon with the lemon pepper seasoning and place in the smoker. Smoke until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (about 30-45 minutes). Allow the salmon to cool before flaking.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the salmon. Stir thoroughly. When well combined, gently fold in the flaked salmon. Garnish with the fresh lemon zest and additional dill (if desired) before serving.
- I recommend serving the smoked salmon dip with crackers, sliced baguettes, and your favorite crunchy vegetables like bell peppers and cucumbers.