posted August 26, 2020
Smoked Chex Mix
This Smoked Chex Mix is the perfect BBQ snack. It’s smoky, savory, and crunchy to help you satisfy your biggest snack craving. Simply throw all the ingredients together, place it in the smoker, and you’re ready to get snacking!
Chex Mix on the Smoker
I’m fully committed to cook everything on the smoker. Whether it’s my famous Texas Style Smoked Beef Brisket, or this recipe for Smoked Salt, I fully believe that anything can be cooked in the smoker. Snacks are another great food to cook on the smoker.
Go ahead and get creative with how you cook this Chex Mix. I cooked this on my Camp Chef SmokePro, but feel free to use whatever smoker you have in your backyard. When choosing the wood for this recipe, I recommend using pecan, maple, cherry, or alder.
Smoked BBQ Chex Mix
This recipe is just like the classic Chex mix you know and love with a BBQ twist. Regular Chex mix calls for seasoned salt and some other spices, but I upped the flavor by adding in a sprinkle of my Signature Sweet Rub. Brown sugar, garlic, onion, and more combine to add the perfect zestiness and hint of sweetness to this Chex mix. You can make your own using my recipe for The BEST Sweet Rub, or purchase it pre-made from Patio Provisions and delivered to your door.
Once you have the Chex mix all seasoned, the time on the smoker marries all of the flavors together and adds in that smoky, BBQ goodness. This Chex mix is great for casual snacking, neighborhood gifts, and Christmas goodies.
How to Make Smoked Chex Mix
Ready to whip up this smoked Chex mix? Scroll below for the full ingredient list and printable recipe. You’ll be amazed how easy and quickly this smack comes together (and how quickly you’ll see it disappear!).
- Mix. Combine corn, rice, and wheat Chex cereal, mixed nuts, bite-sized pretzels, and rye chips in an aluminum pan.
- Season. Combine melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, and Sweet Rub in a bowl. Pour over the snack mix.
- Smoke. Place the Chex mix in a preheated smoker (to 225 degrees F) and smoke for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.
- Serve. Allow the Chex mix to cool before serving (or snack on it a bit while it’s still hot for an extra tasty treat!).
- Store. Make sure to store any remaining snack mix in an airtight container or bag to prevent it from going stale.
So whaddaya think? Are you a smoked Chex mix fan? Make sure to scroll below to leave a comment on how your Chex mix turned out!
Tips for Making Smoked Chex Mix
Here are some tips to help you make this smoked Chex mix the best of the best:
- Use a disposable aluminum pan. If you use a disposable aluminum pan to smoke your Chex mix, you’ll have easy clean up. The pan also offers lots of surface area for the smoke to impact the ingredients.
- Stir gently. Use a soft rubber spatula or spoon to gently combine your ingredients. You don’t want to break apart the fragile cereal.
- Snack on some while it’s warm. This is the real treat that the pitmaster gets to enjoy before sharing it with others!
- Store in an airtight container. The cereal will definitely go stale quickly, store it in a bowl or plastic container with a tight fitting lid to keep the mix fresher for longer. You can probably even keep it sealed with the air removed in a zip top gallon sized bag.
More Smoked Snacks Recipes
Like to infuse some smoky BBQ goodness to your everyday goodies and snacks? Check out more delicious smoked snack recipes from Hey Grill Hey below!
Chex Mix on the Smoker Recipe
Smoked Chex Mix
- 2 cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 2 cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup Wheat Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup bite-sized pretzels
- 1 cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or rye chips
- 8 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Signature Sweet Rub
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the smoker. Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F using your favorite hardwood. I like pecan, maple, cherry, or alder for this recipe.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Combine the cereal, nuts, pretzels, and bagel chips in a large aluminum pan. Stir gently to combine.
- Add butter, sauce, and seasoning. In a medium bowl, melt the butter and stir in the Worcestershire sauce and Sweet Rub seasoning. Pour over the cereal mix and toss gently to evenly distribute the butter mix.
- Smoke the Chex mix. Place the mix on the smoker grates, close the lid, and smoke for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool, serve, and serve. Allow the smoked Chex mix to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad