posted March 11, 2018
Smoked Bologna is a pleasant surprise and an incredibly simple recipe to make. Let go of your childhood ideas of bologna and get ready for a fun and flavorful smoky twist!
How to Smoke Bologna
There really are only like 4 steps and 3 ingredients in this recipe so the how-to is pretty basic!
For smoked bologna, I try to keep my smoker rolling between 225 and 250 degrees F. My favorite wood is typically oak or hickory because the bologna won’t be on the smoker for too long so I try and choose something a little bold.
Since bologna is already cooked, you don’t need to follow a certain temperature protocol, but I do always try to get the interior temperature above 145 degrees F (use an instant read thermometer like THIS ONE) so it isn’t sitting in the food bacteria growth danger zone when serving. Plan for about 3-4 hours of smoke time for optimal smoke flavor without drying out the bologna.
Tips for Smoking Bologna
-Hit up your deli counter to buy bologna as a whole chub, opposed to pre-sliced.
-Remove any exterior packaging or red wax from the outside of the bologna.
-Use the tip of a sharp knife to cut slits across the surface area of the bologna. This allows the seasoning and smoke to penetrate the bologna.
-Don’t be afraid of the mustard slather. It doesn’t add a super “mustardy” flavor, but you need a binder to get your sweet BBQ rub to stick to the smooth exterior of the bologna.
-Once you sprinkle your rub on, resist the urge to spread it on or press on it with your hands. Just sprinkle it on evenly and then transfer carefully to the smoker.
-If you’re eating your bologna hot off the smoker, use a sharp knife to cut thick slices for awesome sandwiches or cube and serve with toothpicks.
-If you’re eating your bologna cold, chill it completely (usually overnight) before slicing thin the next day.
Smoked Bologna Video
Smoked Bologna Recipe
- 3 pounds whole bologna chub
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup Sweet BBQ Rub (link in recipe notes)
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce (link in recipe notes)
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F. I like a good hickory or apple wood for smoke.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, score the bologna about 1/8th of an inch thick in a diamond pattern on all sides of the bologna.
- Slather the bologna chub with the yellow mustard and then sprinkle all around with the sweet rub, opening the slits slightly with your fingers to get that seasoning into the cuts you just made.
- Smoke with the lid closed for at least 3 hours, but up to 4 hours. Bologna is pre-cooked, so you're just going to the amount of color and smoke flavor on the outside of your bologna that you like.
- During the last 30 minutes, brush on all sides with the BBQ sauce.
- Slice warm into small cubes and serve as an appetizer or chill completely and slice as thin or thick as you like for smoked bologna sandwiches.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad