posted April 01, 2017
Pork Rind Crusted Ribs with BuffaQue Sauce
Pork Rind Crusted Ribs are the perfect blend of smoky tender ribs with a sweet and spicy crunch! I’m thrilled to be partnering with Caribeque to help launch their new sauce, BuffaQue! The founder of Caribeque is a long time friend of mine and I’m excited they sponsored this video and recipe so I can share all of this new goodness with you all! The sauce is a mix of spicy Buffalo and tangy BBQ that complements these ribs in the best possible way.
I started these St. Louis Style spare ribs with a generous dusting of Caribeque’s Honey Heat Pork & Poultry rub and let them smoke over hickory wood at 225 degrees for 3 hours. After their loving nap in the smoke, I wrapped these beauties with BuffaQue sauce, butter, honey, and a healthy splash of bourbon. The wrapped ribs go back in at 225 degrees for 2 hours to get extra tender.
Finally, it’s time to apply that gorgeous coating of crunch! The pork rinds really set these ribs apart. I brush the outside with another layer of the BuffaQue sauce and lay the top down in a mix of crunched up pork rinds and more Honey Heat. During the last hour on the grill, those tasty pork rinds take on an amazing amount of smoke flavor and get all sorts of roasty toasty. Yep. Pork Rind Crusted Ribs.
**PRO TIP** For this recipe, I followed the basic outline for 3-2-1 ribs because I know a majority of people prefer ribs that are wicked juicy and fall off the bone tender. If you like a little more bite to your ribs, I would plan your cook time for 3 hours at 225, 1.5 hours wrapped in foil, and 30 minutes sauced and crusted with the pork rinds at the end. Some people prefer to skip foiling all together, but I like the foiling for these ribs because they infuse the meat with the BuffaQue/bourbon flavor combo. St. Louis style ribs tend to hold up better than baby back ribs in the foil anyways, since they have a bit more meat to them.
Pork Rind Crusted Ribs with Buffaque Sauce
- 1 rack St. Louis style ribs (membrane removed)
- 1/4 cup Caribeque Honey Heat Pork & Poultry Rub
For the foiling liquid
- 1/2 cup Caribeque Buffaque Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup bourbon
For the pork rinds
- 1 1/2 cups pork rinds (crushed)
- 1 Tablespoon Caribeque Honey Heat Pork & Poultry Rub
- Season your ribs on both sides with the Caribeque Honey Heat rub.
- Prepare your smoker for indirect smoking at 225 degrees. F I use hickory wood for this recipe. Place the seasoned ribs on the smoker and close the lid. Leave them to smoke for 3 hours.
- Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil and place it on a large working surface. Pour 1/4 cup of the Buffaque sauce on the center of the foil. Transfer the ribs to the foil bone side up so the bones don't tear through the foil. Pour another 1/4 cup over the ribs, drizzle with the honey, top with the butter cut into small pads, and then pour over the bourbon.
- Tightly crimp the foil together to create an airtight seal. Return to the grill and keep your cooking temperature to as close to 225 degrees as you can get it. Let the ribs braise for 2 hours in the foil.
- On a large work surface, spread out the crushed pork rinds and mix with the Honey Heat rub.
- Carefully remove the ribs from the grill. Open the foil package (be careful of hot steam) and use tongs to remove the ribs. Discard the foil and excess cooking liquid. Spread the Buffaque sauce on top of the ribs and carefully turn them over onto the crushed pork rinds. Press down to ensure the top of the ribs are thoroughly covered with the pork rinds.
- Return the crusted ribs to the grill. Close the lid of your grill and cook at 225 degrees for an additional hour until the ribs are done to your desired tenderness and the pork rind crust is crunchy and golden brown. Slice into individual ribs and serve immediately with additional Buffaque sauce.
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!