posted May 10, 2021
BBQ Stuffed Baked Potatoes
These BBQ stuffed baked potatoes are what potato dreams are made of. They’re piled high with BBQ brisket, shredded cheese, sliced green onions, and more. This is one meal that is gonna stick to your ribs and leave you begging for more.
Stuffed Baked Potatoes
I love a meal that makes enough for leftovers. I’ve waxed long about my leftover obsession on several other posts, so I’ll spare you my lamenting here. Just know that leftovers are my jam and any new way I can find to jazz them up and use them in another meal makes my heart sing!
This recipe is less of a recipe, and more of a compilation of different elements, but it is ridiculously delicious and I couldn’t not share! This brisket stuffed baked potato is the bomb freaking dot com (that just happened) and you need it in your mouth right now (unless you don’t have leftover brisket handy, then you need to get a brisket, smoke it for about 20 hours or so and then make it.)
These stuffed baked potatoes start off with seasoned red potatoes roasted in the pellet grill until buttery soft. Then we load them up with shredded Colby jack cheese, Everything BBQ sauce, juicy brisket, and freshly sliced green onions. The Todd even threw some sour cream on his and it was full on out of body experience kind of delicious!
BBQ Stuffed Baked Potato
When I smoke a brisket, I like to go all out and smoke a full packer brisket (if you don’t know what that is, please head over to my Brisket 101 post!) Doing a 14-15 pound cut of beef means we typically have some leftovers and as delicious as it is just to reheat and eat, I wanted to make a statement meal.
Now, I love me a baked potato and our “baked potato bar” dinner nights are always a hit with the kids since they get to choose their own toppings. I was originally planning to just go that route for our Wednesday night meal, but the leftover brisket in the fridge was calling my name. Meat and potatoes are a match made in heaven and just like that, the leftover brisket BBQ stuffed baked potato was born!
Toppings for Stuffed Baked Potatoes
You can go as minimal or as extreme as you want with these potatoes. They’re your creation, after all! So, mix and match toppings as you please. I even recommend preparing a bunch of toppings and having them available buffet-style for your family or guests to load up their potatoes for a fun potato bar!
Here’s a few suggestions of toppings for these potatoes:
- BBQ brisket. Fresh or leftover both work great!
- Shredded cheese. I used Colby jack, but grab your favorite and get at it!
- Sliced green onions. Chives will also go great on these potatoes and add some great flavor as well.
- Sour cream. A classic.
- Extra butter. Another must-have.
- BBQ sauce. I drizzled some of my Everything BBQ Sauce on this potato, and my Kansas City BBQ Sauce would taste great as well! Seriously, though. Grab your favorite and go to town.
- Candied Jalapenos. These candied jalapenos add the most incredible punch of flavor to any and all BBQ.
- Sliced tomatoes. If you love tomatoes, these will add a nice and fresh bite to your potato.
- Diced onions. A little crunch never hurt anyone.
- Chopped bacon. Dude. Chopped bacon on a baked potato is beyond amazing. You can even get EXTRA fancy and make you own Homemade Smoked Bacon and use the leftovers for this potato.
- Smoked Salsa. For more smoky flavor, add a spoonful of some homemade smoked salsa!
- Black or pinto beans. Ya know, just in case this potato wasn’t stuffed enough.
How Long to Bake Stuffed Potatoes
Stuffed baked potatoes take approximately 45 minutes to cook on the pellet smoker or in your oven (with your oven or smoker preheated to 375 degrees F). Time can vary depending on what you are using to cook your potato, the size of your potatoes, and the consistency of the temperature.
The most important thing when determining the doneness of a whole baked potatoes is to check it as you near the 45-minute mark by piercing it with a metal fork. If the fork easily penetrates the potato with little resistance (but not too much!), you know your potato is done.
Also keep in mind that if your potatoes are not all the same size, the smaller ones will likely finish cooking before the larger ones.
More Baked Potato Recipes
It doesn’t really feel like BBQ without a nice baked potato on the side, and these baked potato recipes are the best of the best. Whether you’re cooking them on the grill or the smoker, they’ll come out delicious and cooked to fluffy perfection. Check out some of our favorites below:
BBQ Stuffed Baked Potato Recipe
There she is, my friends. A beautiful stuffed baked potato piled high with all the toppings. When you have a hankering for a baked potatoes and are looking to feed the people you love, these BBQ stuffed baked potatoes are here for you!
BBQ Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- 4 large red potatoes
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
Stuffed Baked Potato Toppings
- 2 cups leftover smoked brisket
- 1 cup colby jack cheese (shredded)
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- Preheat the grill or oven. Preheat your pellet grill, smoker, or oven to 375 degrees F. These potatoes can be cooked in just about anything you have available.
- Prep the potatoes. Wash and scrub your potatoes well. Coat all sides of the potatoes with olive oil, and season with kosher salt
- Bake the potatoes. Place the seasoned potatoes directly on the grill grates. Close the lid and cook for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Reheat the brisket. During the last 15 minutes of cooking the potatoes, place the brisket in a cast iron skillet and into the grill/oven. The brisket should be heated and tender when your potatoes are done.
- Stuff! Cut a slice lengthwise into each of the potatoes and press on the ends to open them. Fill each with a portion of the shredded cheese, BBQ sauce, brisket, sliced green onions, and sour cream. Serve immediately.
**This post was originally published in July 2015. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!