posted October 05, 2021
Grilled Lemon Parmesan Crusted Salmon
With less than 10 ingredients and only 20 minutes of cooking time, this recipe for Grilled Lemon Parmesan Crusted Salmon is a total winner. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s completely impressive and totally delicious as well. Your family will leave the dinner table satisfied, and you’ll feel like a master chef after making this salmon.
Parmesan Crusted Salmon
We love us some salmon around here (my kids would shovel it in with a fork in each hand if I let them) so it is pretty imperative that I find some tasty new ways to prepare it! You can only do the same baked or grilled salmon over and over without everyone getting a little bored.
With beautiful, fresh Alaskan salmon fillets gleaming pink and fresh from Costco’s seafood shelves, it’s hard to resist taking one home and making a delicious meal. A little parmesan on top of salmon is a winning combo, and this recipe for lemon parmesan crusted salmon is one of our new favorites! Huge bonus? It’s on the table in under 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Grilled Lemon Parmesan Salmon
The ingredients list for this salmon is pretty manageable. In fact, you only need to assemble 7 things prior to sticking this awesome fish on the grill. Here’s what you need to make this salmon:
- 1 whole salmon fillet. I like to cook this fillet with the skin still on, but you can likely still achieve a pretty tasty fish if yours has the skin removed.
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs. You can purchase these from the store, or even make them on your own by baking white bread crumbs in the oven at 350 degrees F for around 5 minutes.
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Don’t skimp on this ingredient. I suggest purchasing a nice finely shredded Parmesan cheese for maximum flavor.
- 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped dill. If you don’t have any fresh dill on hand you can substitute this for 1 Tablespoon dried dill.
- 1 lemon. You’ll need this for the zest and then to slice as well. My family loves lemon, so I actually like to slice 1-2 extra lemons just in case.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt. You can also use a nice kosher flake salt here instead of sea salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. I always opt to freshly grind my black pepper in recipes. It makes all the difference in flavor and doesn’t take too much extra effort.
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Salmon
Quick note before making this salmon: I cooked my salmon over the high setting on my pellet smoker, but if you’re cooking on propane or charcoal grill you might want to place the entire fillet on a parchment-lined baking sheet to prevent the skin from charring over the direct heat.
If you want to make this salmon in the oven, that’s cool too! Just preheat the oven to the same temperature (425 degrees F) and follow the same cooking instructions.
- Prep. Preheat your grill (or smoker, or oven) to 425 degrees F. Remove any remaining bones from the fillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill. Place the salmon on the grill and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the crust. Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, dill, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Spread the mixture over the salmon. Gently press down on the mixture to help it adhere to the fish.
- Finish cooking. Close the lid on the grill and continue cooking for another 7-10 minutes. The salmon is ready when it flakes and the internal temperature reads 145 degrees F.
- Enjoy. Serve the salmon immediately with additional lemons. If you’re looking for an extra fancy presentation, top with extra dill and a lemon slice.
More Salmon Recipes
If your family loves salmon as much as mine does, you might be in the market for some new and exciting ways to grill up the tasty fish. Check out the recipes below for our favorite ways to cook salmon on the grill.
Parmesan Crusted Salmon Recipe
If things are looking a bit different around here, no worries! You’re still in the right place. This post was originally published in August 2015. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
Check out the full recipe below for this awesome parmesan crusted salmon. If you have any questions or comments, drop us a line to let us know what you think!
Lemon Parmesan Crusted Grilled Salmon
- 1 whole salmon fillet (skin on)
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (finely shredded or ground)
- 2 Tablespoon freshly chopped dill (or 1 Tablespoon dried dill)
- 1 lemon (zested then sliced)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prep the grill. Preheat your grill to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil the grill grates or use a non-stick grill mat to prevent the salmon from sticking.
- Season. Prior to seasoning, check the salmon for any leftover pin bones and remove them. Next, season with salt and pepper.
- Grill. Place the salmon directly on the oiled grates or on the grilling mat, close the lid, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Make the lemon parmesan crust. While the salmon starts cooking, prepare your crust mixture. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, dill, and lemon zest. Stir with a fork. Carefully pour the mixture over the salmon and press on with your hands.
- Finish grilling. Close the lid and continue to cook for an additional 7-10 minutes or until the salmon flakes with a fork and the internal temperature reads 145 degrees F.
- Serve. Remove the salmon to a serving dish. Top with the sliced lemons and serve immediately. Enjoy!
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!