posted June 17, 2019
Grilled Tri Tip
This Grilled Tri Tip is the perfect entree for a weekday dinner with your family. It cooks up quickly and results in juicy, tender meat bursting with a rich beef flavor.
Tri Tip Roast
Tri tip roast is a lean cut of meat that is big on flavor. When we refer to tri tip roast, we’re talking about the entire cut of meat above the ball tip and adjacent to the flap on the bottom part of the sirloin. The tri tip roast can be cooked whole and then sliced and served. The roast can also be cut into 1″ tri tip steaks that can be grilled individually.
Today we’re talking all about tri tip roast and how you can season and grill it into a delicious dinner for you and your family.
What is Grilled Tri Tip?
Tri tip is a cut of beef that is shaped like a triangle. It’s a beef roast that comes from the bottom portion of the sirloin. An untrimmed tri tip can weigh nearly 5 pounds (as it has a large fat cap and layer of skin), but most purchased tri tips will weigh 2-3 pounds. Tri tips were originally called “the triangular part” of the loin butt, but the name “tri tip” emerged in the 1960’s and has stuck ever since.
Tri tip is amazingly delicious and can be grilled or smoked. I like to go low and slow when I smoke my tri tip (check out my recipe for Smoked Tri Tip here!). Grilling tri tip using two-zone grilling results in that perfect, juicy interior, and a gorgeous crust on the exterior.
How to Grill Tri Tip
Grilling tri tip is pretty easy and straightforward, but these steps below will help you grill the best tri tip of your life:
- Preheat your grill. Fire up your charcoal grill or gas grill for two-zone grilling.
- Season your tri tip. Combine ingredients for the rub and season on all sides. Also mix up your ingredients for your mopping liquid and set aside. My Hey Grill Hey Signature Beef Seasoning also makes for a perfect rub for tri tip.
- Start grilling! Place your roast on indirect heat, and flip it every 6-7 minutes. Mop liberally with mopping liquid after each time you flip the meat.
- Sear the roast. When the meat reaches an internal temperature of 120° Fahrenheit, move it over to direct heat and grill for 2-3 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches your desired doneness.
- Rest and serve. Allow your meat to rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve to your hungry friends and family.
More Tri Tip Recipes
Do you love tri tip as much as I do? If so, check out these delicious tri tip recipes below!
Grilled Tri Tip Recipe
This recipe was created for you, backyard griller! Here at Hey Grill Hey, we’re in the business of helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration) on Instagram, YouTube or our Facebook Page.
BBQ Tri Tip
- 1 2-3 pound tri tip roast (fat cap removed)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- Preheat grill to medium (350° Fahrenheit) for two-zone grilling.
- Combine ingredients for the rub in a small bowl.
- Combine ingredients for mopping liquid in a small bowl and set aside.
- Season tri tip on all sides with rub and place on the indirect heat on your grill.
- Grill the tri tip on indirect heat, flipping every 6-7 minutes. Mop liberally with mopping liquid after each time you flip the roast. Continue to grill the tri tip until the internal temperature reads 120° Fahrenheit (for medium rare).
- When the roast reaches an internal temperature of 120° Fahrenheit, move it over to direct heat and grill for 2-3 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches your desired doneness (Pull your tri tip at 125° F for rare, 135° F for medium rare, 145° F for medium, 155° F for medium well, or 160° F for well done).
- Let the roast rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!