posted October 18, 2022
Smoked Brownies with Caramel and Bacon Salt
This recipe for scrumptious smoked brownies is a major win! They’re cooked with caramel and bacon salt which kicks this simple recipe up a major notch. Toss these brownies on the smoker, and suddenly you have a dream dessert for any BBQer.
Sometimes when I’m BBQing I have a hankering for something sweet and completely outside the ordinary. But being in the business of BBQ, it’s hard to make a simple batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies or a box of brownies.
Enter: These dark chocolate smoked brownies with caramel and bacon salt! They’re the perfect mix of sweet, savory, and salty to satisfy any craving.
Honestly, the bacon salt is what makes this recipe, and I always try to have some on hand. It is super easy to make and is an exquisite finishing salt. It also makes the perfect gift for any foodie friends in your life. Just imagine replacing regular salt with bacon salt in your favorite recipes! Soups, homemade rubs, and grilled vegetables take on a new life with bacon salt. Honestly, this stuff is good on just about anything!
Ingredients for Smoked Brownies
This smoked brownie recipe is ridiculously simple and easy to make. Consider it a simple bonus dessert you can toss on your smoker after slaving away making the main course all day. Here’s what you’ll need to make these brownies:
- 1 box of dark chocolate brownie mix
- 1 8-ounce jar of caramel sauce
For the bacon salt, you’ll need the following:
- 8 strips of bacon
- 1/2 cup of coarse kosher salt
In trying to keep this recipe as simple as possible, it calls for a box of brownie mix and a jar of caramel sauce, but both of these can be made from scratch if you so desire. For the brownies, I LOVE using dark cocoa powder in this Fudgy Brownie Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. They’re beyond amazing.
How to Make Smoked Brownies
Once you have all your ingredients ready to go, it’s time to fire up the smoker and make something sweet and delicious! Here’s how to make smoked brownies:
- Make the bacon salt. Cook up 8 slices of bacon and pulse in a food processor until finely chopped. Mix the bacon with 1/2 cup of salt and set aside.
- Preheat. Fire up the smoker and allow it to preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Make the brownie batter. While the smoker preheats, make the brownie batter according to the directions on the box (or the recipe if you’re making it from scratch). Pour the batter into a baking dish and top with about 2 Tablespoons of caramel and 1 teaspoon of bacon salt.
- Smoke. Place the brownie batter on the grill grates of the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for around 20 minutes, or until the batter is just starting to set.
- Add more caramel and bacon salt. Drizzle the top of the brownies with another 2 Tablespoons of caramel and 1 teaspoon of bacon salt.
- Finish smoking. Continue to smoke until the brownies are fully cooked (a toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownies should come out clean).
- Cool and slice. Allow the brownies to cool completely. Slice into equal-sized squares.
- Dig in! Add another hefty drizzle of caramel sauce (and more bacon salt, if desired) to the top of each brownie. Serve as-is or with a side of vanilla ice cream!
More Smoked Dessert Recipes
Once you’ve cooked your desserts on the smoker, you may never fire up that oven ever again! If you don’t believe me, try out these other amazing smoked dessert recipes from Hey Grill Hey.
Smoked Brownie Recipe
This recipe was created for you, backyard griller! Here at Hey Grill Hey, we’re in the business of helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration) on Instagram, YouTube, or our Facebook Page.
This post was originally published in August 2016. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
Smoked Brownies with Caramel and Bacon Salt
- 1 box dark chocolate brownie mix (you can also use a homemade recipe if you prefer)
- 1 8-ounce jar caramel sauce
- 8 strips bacon
- ½ cup coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Make the bacon salt. Cook 8 strips of bacon until very crisp. Let cool, then pulse in a food processor until finely chopped. Mix the bacon with coarse salt until well combined. Transfer to a lidded jar and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat. Preheat the smoker to 350 degrees F using your favorite hardwood. Maple or pecan would work great with this recipe.
- Make the batter. Mix the brownies according to the package directions and pour the batter into a greased baking pan. Drizzle 2 Tablespoons of caramel sauce over the brownie batter. Sprinkle with approximately 1 teaspoon of bacon salt.
- Smoke. Place the brownie batter directly on the grill grates of your smoker. Close the lid and bake the brownies for 20-25 minutes, or until the brownies have started to set up. Remove from the grill and drizzle with 2 more Tablespoons of caramel sauce and sprinkle with another teaspoon of bacon salt. Return to the grill for 20-25 more minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownies comes out clean.
- Cool and slice. Remove the smoked brownies from the grill. If you like extra caramel, drizzle another layer of caramel on the hot brownies and sprinkle with a final bit of bacon salt. Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting them into squares. Clean your knife in between each slice to prevent the brownies from sticking to the knife.
- Enjoy. Dig in! These brownies are insanely good as-is, but they also taste great with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream or topped with whipped cream.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!