posted August 11, 2022
Candied Bacon Crackers
These candied bacon crackers are the perfect quick treat to make on the smoker. They only require four ingredients and pack a major punch of flavor.
Candied Bacon Club Crackers
If you’re like me, you’re often looking for that perfect snack. Something sweet, savory, and salty to satisfy all your snacky cravings. Well my friends, these candied bacon club crackers hit the mark! The already buttery cracker is transformed into a melt-in-your-mouth delight with sweet and savory candied bacon on top.
These guys are a great sweet and savory bite that you can serve as a appetizer or snack. I’ve served these guys on a charcuterie board before, and everyone gobbled them up. It’s hard to beat this crispity, crunchity treat.
Ingredients for Candied Bacon Crackers
The best thing about this recipe (besides how delicious it is!) is that it only requires 4 ingredients. It’s hard to beat such a quick and easy snack, and this one aims to please. Here’s what you need to make these candied bacon crackers.
- Crackers. I used simple buttery club-like crackers for this recipe. You can use whatever brand you like, just be sure to get ones that are rectangles so they hold the bacon.
- Bacon. Purchase regular bacon for this recipe, rather than a thin- or thick-cut bacon. Any flavor will do.
- Dark brown sugar. While you can certainly use light brown sugar for this recipe, I find that dark brown sugar gives the cracker a yummy molasses flavor.
- Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub. Last up is my signature Sweet Rub. You can make this rub from scratch using my recipe for Best Sweet Rub, or purchase a bottle from the Hey Grill Hey Store.
That’s it! Once you have these four ingredients assembled, you’re ready to fire up the smoker and get cooking!
How to Make Candied Bacon Crackers
Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat. Turn on your favorite smoker, and allow it to preheat to 250 degrees F with whatever wood you have on hand. I used hickory because my bacon was hickory smoked.
- Arrange crackers. Remove a sleeve of crackers from the box, and arrange them on a cooling rack or roasting rack above a large baking sheet. Try to not let them overlap.
- Add bacon. Cut each slice of bacon into thirds. Cutting with kitchen shears makes this job much easier! Top each cracker with a slice of bacon. Don’t worry about the bacon hanging over the crackers, it will shrink up while it cooks.
- Season. Sprinkle each bacon-topped cracker with dark brown sugar and Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub.
- Smoke. Place the roasting rack on the smoker. Close the lid, and cook for 60-90 minutes. Start to check doneness after about an hour, and remove when the bacon is cooked to your desired doneness (the bacon is best if really cripsy!).
- Cool and enjoy. Once the bacon is cooked and crisp and the sugar has fully dissolved, remove the crackers from the smoker and allow to cool to room temperature. If you bite into these right off the smoker, you’ll likely burn your mouth or tongue, so take care!
If you would like to bake these in the oven, preheat the oven to the same temperature (250 degrees F) and cook for the same amount of time, removing once the bacon is crisp. Also, leave the roasting rack on the baking sheet and line it with foil so the drippings don’t hit the bottom of the oven.
How Long to Cook Candied Bacon Crackers
It takes around 90 minutes (1 1/2 hours) to cook these candied bacon crackers.
I recommend beginning to check the doneness of these crackers starting at the 60-minute mark. Look for the following before you remove them from the heat:
- Bacon fat is almost all rendered.
- Brown sugar has fully dissolved and begun to caramelize.
- Bacon is nice and crispy (but not burnt).
More Sweet BBQ Recipes
Talk about them!
Candied Bacon Crackers Recipe
This recipe was created for you, backyard griller! Here at Hey Grill Hey, we’re in the business of helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration) on Instagram, YouTube, or our Facebook Page.
Candied Bacon Crackers
- 1 sleeve club-style crackers (rectangle)
- 1 pound bacon (cut into thirds)
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub
- Preheat. Preheat your smoker to 250 degrees F.
- Prep the crackers. Arrange your crackers in a single layer on a flat roasting rack above a baking sheet.
- Add bacon. Set one of the cut pieces of bacon on top of each cracker. The bacon pieces will be slightly bigger than the crackers, and that’s just fine. The bacon will shrink as it cooks.
- Season. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly across the top of the bacon and then season with the Sweet BBQ Rub.
- Cook. Carefully transfer the flat roasting rack from the baking sheet to the smoker. Close the lid and smoke for about 90 minutes. You will want to start checking for doneness starting at 60 minutes. Remove from the smoker when the bacon fat has mostly rendered, the brown sugar has fully dissolved, and the bacon is cooked to your desired doneness (I prefer these a little crispier).
- Cool and enjoy. Allow the candied bacon crackers to cool completely before serving. These are great as a snack on their own, but are also awesome served on a cheese/cracker/dip board!
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!