I’m coming at you with my last post for #baconmonth! These Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Grilled Tomatoes are the perfect way to finish out summer and those fresh garden tomatoes. I have so much to tell you about these tomatoes, but to be honest, I don’t have much writing in me today. Within a half an hour of making these beautiful bacon wrapped cheesy jewels of deliciousness I was in the car on my way to the hospital. I dropped a glass table top on my toe while trying to assemble an outdoor table. Toe is broken, plus many more graphic details that I will spare you from on a recipe post.
Let’s just say, I’m moderately medicated and only moderately competent enough to be writing this. ha! I did make the recipe when I was completely competent and they were really delicious, so at least there’s that!
Creamy, fresh mozzarella is stuffed into beautifully sweet garden tomatoes and wrapped in BACON! These morsels are then grilled until the cheese is melty, the tomatoes are about to burst, and the bacon is perfectly crisp. Top all of that goodness with some fresh basil and balsamic reduction and you have an outstanding appetizer. Serve with some crusty bread and you’ve got a meal!
PRO-TIPS: both fresh mozzarella and tomatoes are infamously juicy. To prevent turning your stuffed tomatoes into mushy messes, cut a small piece off of the bottom of the tomato. This will help your tomato stand up straight without rolling around and also allow just enough drainage to keep things from getting too wet inside.
While you’re here, spend a minute checking out the rest of this week’s posts for #baconmonth! and GO ENTER TO WIN AWESOME PRIZES from Torani, Lodge Cast Iron, and $100 in PayPal cash!
Bacon Chocolate Chunk Blondies With Salted Chocolate Caramel from Cooking in Stilettos
Bacon & Egg Stuffed Baked Potatoes from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Bell Pepper & Bacon Cheese Ball from Bread Booze Bacon
Spicy Bacon Whiskey Soda from Nomageddon
Jalapeno Popper Mac & Cheese from A Dash of Sanity
Chocolate Caramel Bacon Milkshake from Around My Family Table
Bacon Waffle S’mores from A Simple Pantry
Skillet Breakfast Potatoes & Bacon from Kleinworth & Co.
Bacon Fried Apples from It Is A Keeper
Bacon Potato Salad from Forking Up
Maple Bacon Cheesecake from Ashlee Marie
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella
- 6 slices bacon
- 10-12 leaves fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by preheating your grill for indirect cooking at 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the top of the tomatoes and a small slice off of the bottom of the tomato to make it stand up without rolling around. Use a spoon to clean out most of the seeds from the inside of the tomatoes without breaking through the skin or bottom.
- Season each tomato with salt and pepper and stuff about 1 oz of the fresh mozzarella into the tomato.
- Wrap each tomato in a slice of bacon and secure with toothpicks. Place the wrapped stuffed tomatoes onto a vegetable grill pan and onto the grill.
- Grill for 25 minutes, checking regularly to make sure the tomatoes are cooking evenly. The tomatoes will be done when the bacon is golden and the cheese is bubbling. Remove to a serving platter.
- Garnish the grilled tomatoes with the balsamic glaze and fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately while the cheese is still warm and melty inside.